Ole Miss Passing Breakdown

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Oct 21, 2014.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Saw this posted elsewhere. I sort of paraphrased and I can't vouch for the accuracy, but seems to jive with my recollection of the game.

Short passes:

15/20 110 yds

No sacks or turnovers (2 drops)

Intermediate to Deep Passing Game:

5/21 for 31 net yards (includes penalty and sack loss of yardage)

7 sacks 3 Turnovers

13 of these were on 1st or 2nd down

of those 13 plays: 2 completions, 3 incompletions (1 drop), 5 sacks, 2 holding penalties, INT

Seems to paint a pretty clear picture of what we can and can't do, especially against decent DL and secondary.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Makes you wonder wtf we're doing on offense, doesn't it? Damning as hell.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So what you are telling me is we're using 7-step drops with all 15+ yard passes Saturday?

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We're due for it to start working.

Obviously we can't just dink and dunk exclusively, but it's fairly obvious we shouldn't be having Worley throw very deep 50% of the time. Short passes, fast moving run plays, and the occasional deep pass to let North try and outmuscle someone would work for me.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Tells the story of how bad our offense is on first and second down

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

[​IMG]

7. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Our OC is terrible

Bottom line

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

2nd and 14 is our motto. ****ing sucks.

9. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I would like to see some similar stats for the season. Seems to me that short and medium in the middle of the field is there. We make some good plays like that and then we never return to it at all, except maybe once or at most twice just to remind us of how it works.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You know, it is possible to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage without taking a 9 step drop while the receiver makes a double move. I see other teams run slants and fades and all kinds of things that cause the DBs to go backwards, but some of those plays don't require holding on to the ball for 5 Mississippis.

I think every now and then we might try one of those kind.

11. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Ainge made a good point the other day about how Worley often takes far too many steps back when he's in the pistol or shotgun. It was something along the lines of "An NFL line would have trouble creating a large enough pocket to protect the QB when he's doing a seven step drop out of the pistol."

12. MWR

MWR Contributor

13. NorrisAlan

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Worley throws the worst deep ball of any UT QB I've ever seen and that probably includes some of the holders we've had who would service as the 5th string QB in a pinch. His long throws on Saturday were comically bad, nearly all of them off line and too short.

16. NorrisAlan

Butch needs to whack Worley's elbow with an UGA helmet before each game.

17. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Worley can't throw a Go route to save his life; he looks like he might strain his vagina if he has to throw it longer than 25 yards.

However, when he has time to take a three step drop, plant off his back foot, and drive his hips through the ball, he throws damn good crossing and post routes--25 yards and under.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Paints a clear picture.

Run the ball, and get it to the WRs and TEs quick. Once ever so often take a shot with the field position and down and distance in favor.

UT has to be more balanced to beat good teams but right now this is what you have to deal with.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Im not an OC but my base package right now would involve Pig in the shotgun about 15 snaps a game

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

And a heavy first quarter and 3rd quarter dose of Hurd. Soften that defense up.