Optimism Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Jul 9, 2018.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Since things are slow right now, what are some things you all are looking forward to this coming season?

I’m excited to see the overall improvement of the offense and hopefully learn Tyson Helton is worth his fat contract.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A team that actually has a coach.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

In game adjustments.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Not lining up 3 consecutive snaps in the shotgun to gain 1 yard.

TDVol1989 and justingroves like this.
  5. BigOrangeBeech

Not kicking a field goal from the 3 inch line.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Actually having an identity on offense and defense is going to be nice.

justingroves likes this.
  7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Players improving instead of declining. A team that's challenged off the field in the weight room which translates to stamina and perseverance on the field.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m most anxious to see a well-coached, fundamentally sound and well-prepared team.

Neither this staff nor any other will magically make this roster appreciably more, deeper and better than what it is. And for as well as we’re recruiting / looking for immediate answers, you can’t turn over 5+ years of signing smallish and largely finesses players who were both poorly evaluated, and then terribly coached since the moment they arrived. And, as good (crazy?) as our S&C cat is, not even he can similarly erase 5+ years of complete disarray in the weight room or travel back in time to recoup what are now long lost opportunities for improvement and gains in both size and speed.

It’s not just that we’ve essentially sat idle, but that our rivals have recruited bigger, better, faster and stronger players from the get-go, and have worked toward their continuous improvement and development. They’re at full steam and ready for war, were never going to slow down and wait for us, and have no intention of doing so now. Instead, they’ve been delighted to see that we’ve become so incompetent as to rationalize how our dragging both anchors proves how hard we’ve been working, and all the while bragging about our marksmanship in shooting ourselves in the foot.

I’m not saying that the roster is shit, by any means. There’s talent there, for sure, and as others have recently posted. But when comparing our full 85 to that of every team on our schedule - how many would you be willing to switch with - 2, 3? Even amidst the season of full-blown optimism, ignoring or dismissing this reality could lead to some rather startling reminders on Saturday’s than not, come
    Fall.

I’m as legit excited to see this team as any since 2009, and specifically, what improvement is possible by just playing fundamentally and strategically sound football - move the asses in front of you, establish an identity on offense, do what works until they stop it - and then do something complimentary to that, once they do, keep everything in front of you on defense, tackle the ball carrier, beat press coverage, consistently put kids in the best position to make plays on both sides of the ball, when an opportunity to make a play comes along - take it, etc.

I hate to keep going back to this, as it’s now an old trope, but had Jones done these things - just dumped the gimmicky shit altogether - even as late as going into last season, he’d have won 9+ games a year, and would have most likely been here for 15+ years.

So, thank God he didn’t.

I think that the floor is 5 wins, that the tip-top ceiling is 7 regular season wins, and that 6-6 is most likely and is reasonably attainable.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We’ll have none of this nonsense here

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hopefully playing the best available players from day one

woodshed and hohenfelsvol like this.
  11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm looking forward to being champions of something other than life.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

OL/DL low and firing off the ball
    Can JG play or not
    Banks
    JJ/Callaway/Johnson/Latrell/Jones
    DB play

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Take any football thread about jones before 2018, and put "not" in front of posts. Boom, optimism.

Tenacious D likes this.
  14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Looking forward to making it through a game without constantly questioning the philosophy/lackthereof.

Would be cool to see us stop the run some.

15. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I'm optimistic we won't have the worst statistical record or statistical defense in UT history this year. That's somehow progress.

TDVol1989 and Tenacious D like this.
  16. BigOrangeBeech

Yes and yes

17. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

No Charts

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Looking forward to phase 2 of the Fulmer Plan when he cans Pruitt midyear when he gets caught up in a trap set by Fulmer, he pulls a Barry Alvarez, returns to the sideline, and leads up to glory.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No frumpy guy in Dockers running around with a trash can above his head for a team giving up most rushing yards in history

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want to see a cheese offense. "That play works... run it again until it's stopped".

Kiffin did this and I enjoyed it.

NorrisAlan likes this.