Orange Bowl

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volgrad98, Dec 4, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Clemson fans emerging in the office. They are being polite but it is clear they think the vols have no chance.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

They have some key opt outs as well on defense. We are missing our starting qb and 2 leading wrs. They are missing their starting JG as well but it’s to their benefit.

HCKevinSteele and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don’t blame anybody who does it but dammit I still hate it

4. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Think he may have played if not for the Hooker injury. He saw firsthand how one play going wrong can alter your future.

InVolNerable and Tar Volon like this.
  5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Good for him. He'll be a Tennessee legend forever. 5 TDs against Bama isn't something that will ever be forgotten.

6. Ssmiff

it’ll never be done again

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He is in the WR pantheon.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Welcome to the brave new world. I don't ble any player that opts out.

This is caused by many things:

Schools making a boat load of money off this shit and the players seeing little of it

Transfers coming and going, losing any sense of pride a player has in a school

Playoffs taking away any and all glamour of bowl games

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  9. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I'm going to change expectations for these games from win is the highest objective to let's see what some of these new kids can do.

10. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Bowls are basically back to what they were pre-1970 or so, when many polls voted for their national title before they were played. Just exhibitions to give players and fans one last game before another long offseason.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Obviously I have never been in that position, but I really don't think I would opt out of the bowl. It's part of the season. I would feel bad about myself if I quit.

Yes, yes, yes, of course they should have the right to do it. They should have the right to quit at any time. And do.

IP likes this.
  12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

How is this bowl any less meaningful than, for instance, the 1995 Citrus Bowl?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  13. Ssmiff

If that’s my son, there is only one decision considering all the circumstances. Nothing more to prove next year and nothing more to gain. Hyatts future kids are now set.
    Now if a title was on the line? Would be tough as a player to leave teammates. This bowl means nothing.

Memtownvol and utvol0427 like this.
  14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I really don't buy into the "if you aren't playing for a championship the game is meaningless" mantra.

15. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Perhaps in the brave new world of NIL, there might be something in that contract that if you're getting paid you play barring injury.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

NILs are prohibited from being a pay to play deal, though.

justingroves likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

in the big picture in this particular situation with Hyatt, it is meaningless. For most of the rest of the team and those fighting for spots next year, it’s not meaningless.

Memtownvol and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  18. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Yep. Only way you will ever be able to penalize a kid for not playing is to switch to a contract employee model. But the schools and NCAA will be dragged to court kicking and screaming before that will happen.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

You'd feel really bad about yourself if you had a major injury and cost you and your family millions, but at least you didn't quit, so you'd have that going for you, which is nice.

sellsman11 and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

No way to do that with NIL, but even if you could guys would just claim to be injured and not play.