Orange Bowl

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volgrad98, Dec 4, 2022.

1. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

If you don’t have a chance to win a trophy or improve your draft stock then we need to shift bowl thinking to be about next year.

I am a mostly traditionalist. But how can you recommend a kid take a risk when his livelihood is on the line. I mean, it makes more sense for Tillman to come back instead of Hiatt. And Hiatt just watched Tillman demonstrate the risk. We just need to shift our thinking into next year for bowl games.

Having said that, I am not interested in bowls anymore. If it’s not a playoff, then I don’t care. I will watch my team hoping to see next gen talent. But I need to move on from thinking a vacation with a rib eating contest is as significant as several million dollars.

Let transfers and early enrolls play and better than Spring game

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It’s a competitive scrimmage with under radar last year guys trying to win their last game ever and next year players a chance to get on the field with their qb next year and get some extra practices in.
    I still look forward to watching. The idea we may see a ball go 80 yards in the air to squirrel is appealing

VOLinDAWGland and TDVol1989 like this.
  3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Have a feeling seeing that is more of a certainty than a possibility. Who knows, maybe we can still find a way to win.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Radio played football in my neighborhood.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think these kids should opt out if not playing for it all. Why would you risk getting injured and possibly costing yourself millions? Now if you are not a 2nd round or better player I think I would take the risk to possibly improve my draft stock. Look at what Chris Johnson did in the Hawaii bowl in 2007. That performance put him on the map and people were excited to see him at the combine. I also don't mind getting a glimpse of what next year will look like so we kind of know what we have before even going into the spring.

SetVol13, TDVol1989 and Memtownvol like this.
  6. Ssmiff

I’m excited about seeing what we look like as a preview. More squirrel. More Bru.

VOLinDAWGland and VolDad like this.
  7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Pre BCS you could win a natty without playing in a major bowl. In 1984 BYU won it after winning the Holiday Bowl. Granted winning a title that way was a rarity, but wasn’t impossible like it’s been since 1998.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That's a good question, especially for players that aren't on teams competing for a championship. If I were Hyatt, I'd have 100% shut it down after South Carolina having watched Hooker blow out his knee and not having a shot at the playoff.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wright going to play in the game.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If you play say 3 games and look good and then sit you are just giving guys that are graded below you a chance to show out and possibly climb the draft board. Missing 1-2 games likely does not hurt but I wouldn't go much further than that if I was trying to get paid. GM's take into account how durable guys are and how they play with their team. If you opt out of a bunch of games to avoid possible injury a GM might question your durability or your desire to finish strong with your teammates.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  11. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Someone pointed out that Hyatt now meets the UT defined criteria to be eligible for jersey retirement.

you have to do 3 of the 5

- win SEC POY
    - win a national award (Biletnikoff, check)
    - be a first team All American (check)
    - break a significant school, SEC, or national record (broke Marcus Nash’s school record for receiving TDs in a season, check)
    - win a national title

I think it will happen someday.

zehr27 likes this.
  12. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Eh. I’m not sure. I would agree if he had more than just this season.

13. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

All the above plus a bit more body of work. He flashed 1 year. It was more like an explosion.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  14. Ssmiff

If he qualifies, fine. Even if only one great year, if a player has the most ridiculous year ever, fine with me. I don’t know that Hyatts numbers will be broken and the Bama game will not happen to Bama ever again, and broke the streak. Easily would’ve had single season yardage record too in the bowl.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I liked the original criteria better.

16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

5 TDs and 200 yards against Bama is a difference maker in this decision, imo

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Any position player that puts up 5 TDs against Alabama should have their jersey retired before that day is over.

emainvol and OneForVol like this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let the Vols become a holy instrument of wrath against Dabo's blasphemous lies. I declare a holy war. Clemson must be smited. God wills it!

warhammer and A-Smith like this.