POLITICS Origins of Racism, Sexism, Other “isms”?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 10, 2018.

1. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

White supremacist are morons! and Jews want to maintain an identity.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Perhaps the only reason you recall that is because it is such an anomaly, and kind of feeds his point.

Who is fastest today, last year, 2016, 2015, etc.?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you assumed an irritated woman is PMSing based solely on her being irritated and female it would be sexist, much like assuming every hothead guy must have an abnormal penis would be sexist. It's jumping to a conclusion based on sex alone.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You clearly don't understand.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What if you can scientifically prove women are moody, indecisive, irritable things because they are, in fact, women?

6. Tenacious D

What if I assumed that it was merely possible that her irritability was caused, in whole or in part, by PMS?

Still sexist?

7. Tenacious D

Whoo boy.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember it for the same reason I remember Leonard Scott, actually.

Anomalies? I was told he and I have never seen a fast white player past the high school level. You'r flipping it around and ignoring that his claim was shot down. I could just as easily name players in the nfl who are among the fastest on their team. Ask yourself why the burden is on me, and to what threshold? I didn't make a blanket claim about an entire race, I have already shown the claim isn't accurate

9. fl0at_

I can't say I ever have.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not in my book, but it would be sexist to go and give her a Midol and say "this will make you feel better" because you were assuming she was PMSing and not simply in a bad mood.

EDIT: and from personal experience, Midol is the shit and women have been hiding it from men far too long. Talk about killing a headache fast.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ask float. Personal advice: I wouldn't speculate or list possibilities out loud

12. Tenacious D

I’m ok admitting that. I’m not ok that such may be true, and can work to better understand it, but have no problem in admitting my very real and provably demonstrable ignorances.

Can you help me to define what sexism is? Maybe that’s a good starting point, because until I know what it is, I can’t possibly know what it isn’t.

13. fl0at_

And then what? You make jokes about it? That's sexist.

You comment about it? That's sexist.

You use it to map the human mind? That's science. You then conclude all women are idiots: sexist.

It's very, very simple.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can't, because one can readily observe that there are people who are all those things who are not women, and more to the point there are women who are none of those things or only some of those things.

15. Tenacious D

You’ll win each of these points, IP, and pretty easily, as you well know.

But you’re also plenty smart enough to also see the deeper, bigger and perhaps better point he’s making, too, and could just address the best form of his argument, instead.

16. fl0at_

I have given you a definition. It is different than what you want to believe, so nobody here can help you. Only you can help you.

Sexism is the belief that someone is going to behave differently than you, and that the differences can be grouped by sex.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Can we just state the point in clear and succinct language please, instead of all this [ussy pay]footing around?

Is it that African-Americans are better at sports because they genetically superior in this manner than European Americans? Is that it?

Is it all blacks? Or only slave-derived blacks, not Africans that immigrate to the US?

18. Tenacious D

So, it may not be correct to assume that a woman’s irritability was induced / exacerbated by PMS, but it’s also not an immediately incorrect, unreasonable and invalid one, either?

It’s a valid and reasonably possibility, but I just can’t say it or let her know that I’m wondering it?

Spoiler alert: If I see you writhing in pain on the ground and holding your groom, I’m not only going to assume that you were just hit in the balls, but I’m almost definitely going to also laugh and make some smart-assed remark.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think I stated it multpile times, and you've blown right past it asking if assuming only men were circumcised was sexist.

Which it isn't, but also women unfortunately could also be circumcised.

One more time:

If you assume a behavior or ability based on sex alone, it is sexist. If you wouldn't think an irritated man has PMS, there is no reason to assume that an irritated woman does all because it is possible biologically. With the guy or gal, there are many possibilities and an additional possibility doesn't make that the only one.

20. Tenacious D

Wait, are you saying these things as if JG has somehow proved that women were all of these things?