POLITICS Origins of Racism, Sexism, Other “isms”?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 10, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Bulldog, spirit, aggressiveness. I imagine that is what he is getting at.

I would attribute that to, generally, coming from lower income where sports is seen as one of a few ways out of poverty.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think he's going Jimmy the Greek on us

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, if you see one thing as your way out of a shitty environment, you're going to bust your ass to be the best at it

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Just an expression used. An edge. Aggressive. No fear.
    There are poor white kids by the millions. Where are they?

5. NorrisAlan

And as an aside to Ssmiff, I don't think anything you said is overtly racist. And, I for one, believe that this particular thread may allow for special dispensation simply because of the topic.

imho

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have seen plenty of "dog" in kids of all races. If that's what they see as their way to make a mark in the world, they're gonna go for it.

There are some studies that show people with darker skin are perceived as more imposing, vigorous, and resilient than lighter skinned people when acting/presenting identically to lighter skinned people. It's thought to play a role in police brutality/shooting issues. And the phenomenon occurs among obarriers of even the same race.

7. NorrisAlan

They are everywhere, especially when you get out of the USA. Look at the makeup of international soccer, for instance.

But, I believe that white kids, no matter how poor, have the perception that they can get out via multiple avenues, where as poor black kids may not. They may just see sports or drug dealing, and that is it, even if it is a poor perception.

8. NorrisAlan

Look at how Henry Aaron was treated vs white ball players:

White player: Look how is slowly walks to the plate, planning his strategy.

Aaron: Look at him lumbering lazily up to the plate.

And that happened.

Even today, the white wide receiver is cerebral, black receiver is quick, even though the speed difference between them is near zero.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They are off being not as good at sports. I've run across several black athletes that were fairly lazy and still far better than their competition. Sometimes you're just born with it.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Everywhere; running businesses, rising through the ranks of Fortune 500s, military, police, fire. Literally everywhere.

But if race confers some natural predisposition towards athletic ability, where are all the black hockey players?

11. Ssmiff

Exactly. And if you look at the makeup of SEC defenses, more appear to be born with it than white dudes, even though the population makeup is 85/15 ish.

12. Ssmiff

Down south where there isnt much ice, but gyms and fields and courts everywhere.
    And i was referring to the cultural/poor aspect. Millions more poor white kids than black kids, but they arent gifted enough physically or mentally to play high level sports.

13. fl0at_

They don't have poor black people up north?

You're cherry picking to make a broad example. If the broad example exists, it exists broadly.

14. fl0at_

I like the sports examples because I think it shows a great example.

Smith, you're from Memphis originally. If I started a lacrosse program for city schools; lacrosse, which is basically running fast in a field, and hitting people on the move -- those superior athletes would get east coast offers at the same clip as the private school guys, right?

15. Ssmiff

No. Im not cherry picking. Just telling it like it is. There are various reasons why a population that makes up 12% accounts for 90% plus of nfl/sec defenses, most offenses and majority of D1 basketball scholarships. Its not just due to being poor and a way out.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You can't get paid playing lacrosse.

17. NorrisAlan

Also, we have to take into count coaching bias. A white running back may not even get a second glance because he is white, even though he might be just as good or better. No, son, you need to play full back or tight end!

That said, I am willing to believe there might be a small difference between some genetic racial sets that might give one group a .01 improvement which is everything at the top top levels.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm saying there's more to it than just having some extra dog. I think there are quite a few white dudes out there that are violent and aggressive as hell, just not very athletic.

19. Ssmiff

Not sure, but if lacrosse taps more into the black athlete, as Houston High in memphis has done, the sport could explode.

20. Ssmiff

Agree. But man these camps really separate, even at 13 years old. You can see it.
    Quick story, my son had a good day at a recent camp. Then you hear, "dont let that white boy beat you again!" If that was reversed? Wow.