Ospreys threaten bridge project

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Apr 22, 2015.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Some of you may remember the Eggner Ferry Bridge; it was hit by a barge in 2012, knocking out a section in the middle. Subsequently, a $350 million project dating back to 1992 was revitalized because the bridge and it's sister crossing Lake Barkley are 1) old pieces of shit that might fall down and 2) the only means of crossing the two lakes for 40 miles or so in either direction. Well, it looks like construction might be delayed indefinitely because a pair of ospreys have taken residence in the area and built a nest. Layoffs of workers on the project have already begun.

http://www.wkdzradio.com/Osprey-Delaying-KY-Lake-Bridge-Construction/21396956

Happy Earth Day!

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This made me laugh.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dang Republicans. Thanks a lot, Nixon!

4. cotton

It isn't funny if you have to cross the bridge, which I do more frequently than I would like.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

...but I dont... So it's funny.

Lol sorry about your woes though. Sounds like we need to arrange some sort of "accident" for these birds.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was hunting some public flooded timber in Arkansas a few years ago with a man in his early 70's. We were joking about seeing an ivory billed woodpecker, the old man said to shoot it on sight if one was seen. His reasoning? They shut down large chunks of public hunting land to watch for an extinct bird.

I thought it was a little cold blooded.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

May have thought if he went ahead and finished em off it would make for better hunting later.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I was on a job once and we saw a tiny owl. One of the GC's foreman said it was an endangered burrowing owl, or something like that. They shut the job down for a couple of days until an expert could come investigate it. He shows up, sees the bird, and says, go ahead and keep working, it'll fly away.

9. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

we have a couple of eagles that have made a very large nest on top of one of the light poles at the highschool football field every other year or so. d.o.s. is a real control freak that tried to argue with the state saying they had to be detroyed because he felt they presented a danger. state over-ruled and said it couldn't be taken down until the eagles vacated. when they leave it's taken down, then they come back and build it again. it's an impressive site when they get that nest built as big and wide as those lights are.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They do make huge nests. The lease I'm on in Arkansas, there are two bald eagles that hang around. They will grab ducks off the water and just massacre snow geese.

It's pretty badass to see them do their thing, but it does suck if you hunt the same field with them.

11. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

seeing that alone would be worth the time and effort to go out there and watch even without the hunting. lol

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I had a game warden tell me the adult eagles teach the juveniles how to hunt by killing snow geese. There will be one on the ground, walking towards the geese, then one dive bombs them from up high. They will leave dead snow goose bodies all over the place.

13. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

damn, nature, you scary.

14. cotton

All of the majesty is completely undone when you go to Alaska and see 5,000 of them on a garbage dump. The locals up there do not like them and equate them mostly with buzzards. I will say that they are much more likely to eat carrion than actually catch anything. Also, there seems to be a pair in every other tree.

I don't really think ospreys are endangered, either, so basically a $350 million bridge project is screwed up because somebody somewhere thought fishhawks were cool.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I still think its weird that earth day is on Vladimir Lenin's birthday.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Benjamin Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be the federal bird over the bald eagle due to the eagles being carrion eaters