Pets

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Apr 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I have two dogs, a lab and a Jack Russell. I believe my son is easier to take care of.

The lab has to get a steroid shot twice a year for his allergies and the JR is an attention whore. That being said, I'll cry like a baby when they die.

Who has pets?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats

A doberman who is 10
    A chow/akita mutt who is 9
    A westie who is 8
    An inside cat who is 7
    An outside cat for is 4 or 5

The westie sleeps with us every night, and when I get out of bed in the morning the doberman jumps in my spot and pouts if I don't cover her up. We spend an average of $125 on animals, not including any emergency stuff. Quite honestly, I'm ready for the inside cat and two of the dogs to go "live on the farm".

3. CardinalVol

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats

A doberman who is 10
    A chow/akita mutt who is 9
    A westie who is 8
    An inside cat who is 7
    An outside cat for is 4 or 5

The westie sleeps with us every night, and when I get out of bed in the morning the doberman jumps in my spot and pouts if I don't cover her up. We spend an average of $125 on animals, not including any emergency stuff. Quite honestly, I'm ready for the inside cat and two of the dogs to go "live on the farm".

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I do not have good luck with inside pets. Growing up with land we had every animal imaginable but they stayed outside. I like dogs in the abstract, but prefer them on the porch to the couch.

In the event we had another indoor pet I would get a shar pei. I just love those things, even though they can be ornery.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just a black cat who is a spawn of Satan. My black lab died 2 years ago and I've yet to replace her. I've witnessed my father cry twice. When his father died and when Shadow died.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I will quit [itch bay]ing CV.

I can't handle cats. I grew up on 10 acres and always had one or two hang around outside to kill mice, moles and other varmints but they were at best semi-tame and required no maintenance.

I'll probably always have a lab around. Ours is already attached to my son. He sleeps beside the crib and follows whoever has the baby around the house.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

2 dogs here. We had two other dogs prior to the two we have now. I cried when my Corgi died. Had him from age 4 to 19. So many good memories with that little guy!

8. CardinalVol

Our outside cat is like that. Feed him, and acknowledge when he kills a rabbit or something and drags it up and he's happy. He's great. He is the ideal outside cat.

I'm also like jo in that I had a dog my entire time growing up, but they were always outside dogs. I don't necessarily mind one inside dog, but three with a 2 year old and soon to be newborn is going to be a bit much. I've got to admit though, it's nice having a doberman around if a stranger comes to the door. They always get a bit precautious when they see her (even if they don't know she's the biggest wuss alive).

We got the cat when I moved to Nashville after college and my now-wife decided I needed a pet and got me a cat. What she didn't realize is that one day she would also live with said cat. Said cat also weighs more than our Westie.

9. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

2 spoiled cocker spaniels in this house.

10. CardinalVol

Also, the greatest dog I have ever owned is a lab/chow mutt. He was black as midnight and named Einstein. If he knew you, he was the friendliest dog in the world. If he didn't he would tear you to shreds if you so much as set one foot in our garage. UPS and EdEx men hated him.

If I had to do it over again he would be named Vader, but the first day we got him, he looked like he was reading the newspaper we had lined in the bottom of the cardboard box in the car, thus he got the name because I said he was smart. He got ran over the night before MLK day my junior year of college and I spent that entire day crying after Mom called and told me.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sounds like a hate crime, Card.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

These were the first "inside" dogs for me. I always had dogs roaming around outside. I don't mind either of them in the house really but they want more attention than the baby.

I had a Great Dane/Bull Mastiff mix growing up. He weighed right at 160 lbs. We didn't worry about people coming up we didn't know.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The lab was a rescue. We found 5 puppies around 9 weeks old that had been left. I wanted to keep one but didn't have a fence so we stuck him inside. Two years of procrastinating later, I think he would die if I put him outside.

14. CardinalVol

My in-laws have a Dane. I hate her tail. She's doubled me over many times.

We both kind of want some type of Mastiff for our next dog when the kids are older and we have a bigger house......and all current animals are no longer living with us.

15. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

I personally have one cat, that showed up at my house about two months ago.

But while we both live at the parents house:
    3 cats:
    1 Outdoor/Indoor cat about 15 years old (ironically named Chipper, and will probably "retire" soon as well)
    1 Outdoor cat
    1 indoor cat

4 dogs:
    3 German Shorthair Pointers (mother and two of her pups, both male and female)
    1 mix from the pound (pit bull, husky, a little bit of everything)

4 horses:
    1 old quarterhorse
    1 Dutch Warmblood (Olympic trained horse)
    1 Arabian
    1 Mini-horse

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

No dogs. I had a lab/Great Dane mix but had to put him down in winter of 2010. He was 16 years old.
    2 cats- orange tabby, male. He is one cool dude for a cat. I also have a black and white female that I hate. She has to lay on EVERYTHING I own. I think she does it for spite. She only likes my wife. I kicked this cat across my man cave after the KY game last November. Unfortunately for her, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Depending on the time of year, I also have anywhere from 40-60 head of cattle along with countless wild deer, squirrels, raccoons, possums, geese, any most any other wild animal.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I've got a 5 month old golden retriever and he's wild as hell.

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

4 dogs, 4 horses. 2 kids!

19. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

My wife has 2 dogs.

1 year old Yorkshire Terrier (Yorkie)/male
    1 year old Miniature Schnauzer/female

Mini Schnauzer is the best dog I've ever owned.

20. tankervol

tankervol Member

We just adopted a cat a few days ago. I hate cats. Always have. But the wife and daughter fell in love with it. Thus, we have a cat.