Peyton or Eli?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VolDad, Feb 6, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If you could only have 1 Manning brother and could change UT Football History, would you rather have Peyton taking snaps (1994-1997) or Eli taking snaps (2000-2003)?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Peyton. Peyton. Peyton.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Peyton.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Spurrier owned Peyton. There was no dominant coach in the SEC when Eli played.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Peyton

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Peyton.

7. CardinalVol

And he would have also played under Sanders.

And I would also argue Tennessee football never takes off like it did in the 90s without Peyton, regardless of how he fared against Spurrier.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

This was my thinking. Are we as loaded in '98-2001 if we don't have great teams in the mid 90's?

9. CardinalVol

John Adams (I know, I know) had a great article one time linking UT's success on and off field to Peyton's years here, primarily through the recruiting classes of when he was being recruited and on campus. There is a strong correlation between the two.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree completely with that.

11. CardinalVol

Also worth noting that Eli redshirted in 1999 too. Does that happen if he comes here? Would he have made that much of a difference over Clausen here at the QB position given the other circumstances at the time?

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

This. In addition to Peyton being a better QB

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

1998 doesn't happen w/o Peyton. I have friends who ask me why I like Peyton better than Tee. I tell them for one that he had more to do with the '98 championship than Tee. They scoff, but it's true. Philip Fulmer showed what he was the longer he was removed from the influences of Peyton Manning and David Cutcliffe. Kudos to Phil for promoting Cutcliffe in 93. Best thing he ever did here.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

As bad as Mark Richt housed us most of those years I'm not sure Eli makes enough difference.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The iceman was a damn good qb for us. The problems were not from under center

16. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I tend to think that Clausen was pretty underrated. I think he gets more blame than he ever deserved.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Give him a decent run game his last two seasons and he could have won a lot more games.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

And it's not as if he was working with much at receiver in '02 or '03. Nothing special about CJ Fayton, Tony Brown, Jomo Fagan, Chris Hannon, and Montrell Jones

19. CardinalVol

If you really think about it in hindsight, it's fairly ridiculous we won 10 games in 2003. Should have won 11 too.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If they'd let Casey throw it prior to th fourth quarter we beat Aubie despite our defense not showing up.