Pitt Immediate Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 10, 2022.

1. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I thought Slovis played well considering he was getting his brains beat in on every snap. Looked more sharp than Hooker did.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  2. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

I’m thankful we play Akron next giving us 2 weeks to prepare for the gators.

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I wish we could just work on the running game vs Akron, but the passing game needs work too.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yeah he did but we also had our hands on the ball for int opps

TDVol1989 likes this.
  5. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

So Richardson is human. Florida looked athletic as usual but were exposed by Kentucky. Feeling better about this game. Levis looked pretty average.

6. VOLinDAWGland

South Carolina doesn't look like a swing game anymore. Of course that's assuming our play improves as I suspect it will. McCoy is just scratching the surface of his upside.

Memtownvol likes this.
  7. VOLinDAWGland

Happy we don't play Arkansas. LSU game will depend on which LSU team shows up.

8. VOLinDAWGland

We're on schedule for 8-4, 9-3 is looking more plausible.

IP likes this.
  9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

2-1 against Florida, LSU, and Kentucky and don’t slip up against a team we should dominate and 9-3 is right there. Easier said than done, but doable.

IP likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sniffs is a holgometrics guy.

Numbers actually say team that gets it first wins 54% of the time.

11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

My stance on this is that we just needed to win it. No matter how ugly it was. You can make an argument that more went right for Pitt than it did UT, minus the QB injury. First one like this since 2003 against an established program like Pitt. This isn’t the goal post, but it’s good to seemingly be headed towards it.

12. Tar Volon

I think I don’t feel quite as bad the offense in the second half as some of y’all do, because Pitt successfully slowed the game down (plus we lost a possession on the muffed punt) so that we didn’t get a lot of possessions, and the ones we had, the plays were there and we just didn’t connect. It’s not like we looked clueless or were outschemed, we just had a couple drops or overthrows.

That said, the running game was no help at all, with our two main backs combining for 65 yards and a fumble. That can’t continue if we want to be successful.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Phil Steele has Pitt’s D Line ranked as the 2nd best in the country. We have the 25th best o line according to him. He also has Pitt as his #1 surprise team and has them ranked #9 in his power poll and #11 in his top 40. Pretty sure he had them favored in his Vegas spread as well.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tillman uncharacteristically dropped a few and there were a few dumbass pre snap penalties, those don't happen and Tennessee wins without OT. Those aren't hard fixes. The run game wasn't good but they didn't run it enough in my opinion. The run game is two or three yards and then boom, hit a crease and go for 30. They just stopped and kept slinging it before the big run happened.

Memtownvol and SetVol13 like this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The Levis hype is stupid. The guy is a turnover waiting to happen and he's got no great skillset.

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

run game will look better when Hooker keeps a few of those. He had a lane outside often when handing to Small

Tar Volon likes this.
  17. Tar Volon

It’s hard to stick with the run game when it’s killing drives the way it was. We had at least two off the top of my head (the fumble, getting dropped for a three-yard loss on 2nd and 3) that ended up getting Pitt that ball when we had been moving it through the air. Two and three yards here and there before you break the big one is fine, fumbles and three-yard losses will kill you.

18. Tar Volon

Very true—I was surprised he didn’t start keeping more when it became clear the game was going down to the wire

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My takeaway is that we won a road game against a reasonably decent opponent using a different tool in our bag than we expected going in and I don’t think that’s bad.​

That Slovis guy was going to throw us another ball or 2 if he didn’t get hurt imo. He was starting to feel the heat.

Obviously the offense needs to improve but if there’s one thing I trust this coaching staff with it’s offense.

Pitt has a pretty damn good defensive line.

Pitt was a good matchup to just cut the pressure loose on, those QBs weren’t particularly mobile even before their legs got broken

Memtownvol and Ssmiff like this.
  20. juicemane

juicemane Member

And their qb doesn’t get injured (and the backup hobbled) without getting relentlessly pummeled by our pass rush

Memtownvol, VolDad and NorrisAlan like this.