Play Faster?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I know Martin comes from a grind it out background and the Gene Keady school, but I really think we need to up the tempo a bit. I think we are trying to pigeonhole a slow down, half court system into a group that is better served by pushing the ball more. Their offensive structure and skills in the half court are not good. The spacing, entry passes, off ball movement, dribble penetration and decision making are poor. They resemble a team thinking about what they should do in the half court. A good coach adapts to his team and I hope that Martin isn't too wedded to his preferred system.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

offensively i 100% agree. the more time they spend in the halfcourt, the more nothing that happens. Richardson and McRae need to attack the rim early and often.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Hard to disagree, but we'd average 473 turnovers per half.

4. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

I'm pretty sure Cuonzo wants this to happen but he wants the defense leading to more fast break situations.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Faster or not, they just have to play smarter. Captain Obvious, I know.

6. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I heard an interview with Martin the other day where he said he really did not care if they played up tempo on offense as long as they were capitalizing.

I guess a lot of it will depend on who is on the floor at that time and who the opponent is.