Powered Attic Fan-Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by USAF_Vol, Jul 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

OK, any handymen on the board? Thinking about installing a gable fan in the attic. I have a spot ready to go, brother in law is an electrician and will wire it.

Do they work well? Do I even need it? Will it pull cooled air from my house and be counter productive? I know it's been a billion degrees but my dang ac can't keep up and being worked like a (A good analogy eludes me). Short of dropping in a larger ton central ac, what else can I do?

Please advise....

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't know where you live USAF, but my in-laws have one in CO. It's not very humid there, but when the house gets stuffy they'll run it in the morning and it pulls the hot air out pretty quick. I'm not sure for more humid climates, or if your house were any big at all, that it would help all that much. It's makes a ton of noise, and other that pulling some hot air out, doesn't necessarily "cool down" the house, just makes it slightly more bearable.

It's doesn't hurt anything, and it will suck that air right out, but they seem like a lot of trouble for not much return on the investment. JMO, TIFWIW.

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Higher tonnage.

4. USAF_Vol

I live in GA, I'm not talking about an attic fan that pulls air out of the conditioned house. Sorry should have been more specific.

Only gable mounted to pull the blistering hot air from the attic only. My HVAC unit is in the attic as well. Would this reduce it's effort?

Thanks for the info volfanjo.

5. USAF_Vol

Short of dropping $5k on a bigger unit. That would be ideal though.

6. tripper

tripper Member

I would definitely check if you have proper insulation first and if needed drop your money there.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Do you have a dual thermostat, USAF? You can put attention on more specific part of the house that way.

8. USAF_Vol

Good to see advertising working. See the fan advert on the top LOL. Makes me want to start a thread on some crazy thought just to see what advertising comes up. LOL

9. USAF_Vol

Nope, just one floor.

10. USAF_Vol

This is looking like an excellent thought. I have the spray in kind now, just barely over my rafters. I bet i could lay some additional roll out type to help with that. No way I would do that now. May just suck it up and wait for cooler months.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It won't do a whole lot but it will help a little. If you're getting it cheap, it's worth a shot.

Spray in insulation is about the best way to insulate down here.