President Trump on 2026 World Cup Bid

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, May 2, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m for the POTUS (any POTUS) offering a helping hand on matters such as this, but frankly, am curious as to what effect this will have, if any, and if it will prove to do more harm than good.

Couple of follow up questions for the soccer afficionadoes:

1. What are the perceived chances of the joint US / Canadian / Mexican bid for the 2026 World Cup?

2. Can Morocco actually win the bid, and if so, what factors are at play that could lead to that? Even considering my enormous ignorance of how these things work, it’s hard for me to imagine anyone beating the US / Canada / Mexico...much less a small country like Morocco.

3. While understanding that it’s still 8 years away....do we expect for the US to make the field in 2026, and how confident is that expectation?

4. Obviously, you want both the US / Canada / Mexico to win the bid AND for the US to make the field....but could it actually be harmful to US Soccer to NOT make the field, even if they won the bid? I’d think that our joint participation in hoisting it, but not actually participating in it, would be a terrible blow to the US Soccer. By no means fatal, but a definite face full of egg.

Link: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/30/sports/soccer/trump-world-cup-bid.html

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The hosting nation automatically gets invited to the contest, no matter what. How that works in a tri-hosting situation, I don't know.

I fully expect the USA to make the field. This year was an anomaly and, depending on who they hire to be the next coach, we should be good to go. We have too much quality young talent coming up now.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. Decent chance, but real competition.

2. Yes, because they are in close proximity to more of the global fan market and because Africa hasn't hosted much. They are a better candidate than Qatar was by a light year.

3. We should expect us to make the field. Keep in mind that hosts automatically make the field, though. I am as confident as I can be about a sport outcome 8 years away.

4. Impossible scenario. Hosts automatically make the field.

4. Tenacious D

Wait, the host nation automatically makes the field? Never knew that.

I’d assume that they’d see who could make it on merit between the three (US / Canada / Mexico), and use the automatic invite to save the one who couldn’t....but what if two or more don’t make it in?

So, you’re confidence in their making the field is largely based on the coach they hire? Who should I be hoping that they hire, and actually have a chance to land?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Mexico and us will very likely be in the field. Canada may need the autobid. I wouldn't worry about that too much. FIFA will want hosts in the tourney.

International soccer coaches and their roles don't align with American football. It's more akin to a baseball manager.

In terms of who they should get, someone established I hope.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Seeing as US Soccer is run like the UT AD, I fully expect us to hire Sam Allardyce.

7. Tenacious D

Of all of the realistic candidates, who would you most like to see us hire?

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

We’re going to eventually get the bid and that dumb son of a [itch bay] is going to take all of the credit for it.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

2026 is also the year in which they expand the Cup by 16 teams to 48.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well. Now you know who to thank for that.

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Obama no doubt.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

hahaha

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

definitely, since it's not a good thing

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I was thinking more along the lines of Kenya being better at soccer than the US.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was curious because I’d never even heard of a Kenyan soccer team, but I’ve actually heard of 2 of their players and they’ve never qualified for a World Cup

16. Tenacious D

As certain as gravity.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not sure he helps us. Probably a wash as to trump's impact

18. Tenacious D

Details, details.

I don’t think it makes one whit what he says, ultimately.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I did laugh at the irony of some FIFA members raising ethical complaints when he originally said something.

tvolsfan and IP like this.
  20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The main thing that will relate to Trump which FIFA will want to know, or harp upon, is about travel bans and restrictions of people being able to go to the US in order to watch their country play. Of course, Trump won't be president by then, but they also seem to want to stick it to the US anyway.