Private Equity Destroying America

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by HCKevinSteele, Aug 17, 2022.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

GFD. Even if I don’t have a specific complaint on principle this is depressing. We used to be a country, a proper country.

2. HCKevinSteele

Another doozy, not at all surprising though.

3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Glad, I took care of my vinyl and a working turntable/receiver/speakers.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's generally not a great way to make money though.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not in the long run, no. I listened to a Lex Fridman podcast today with Liv Boeree as the guest, and it was interesting how she talked about Moloch, this quasi-mythical god in Leviticus that demanded child sacrifice for success in war. Basically, you have to sacrifice something of immense value for short term gains. So if a fund is based off of this month's return, I could see this kind of behavior, akin to the housing markets pre 2008.

Win now at all costs, no matter what it costs us in the future.

As always, I am no economist nor am I a business man, but I can see how short term gains at the cost of long term gains could be incredibly seductive in the right kind of field.

droski likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It is if you do it over and over though. See - the 1980s.

7. HCKevinSteele

In this context you’re not sacrificing long term gains though as you aren’t going to hold whatever it is you bought. You’re just borrowing X dollars to buy a company, transferring X in debt to that company, stripping the company for parts and let the company sink unable to service the debt.

8. HCKevinSteele

Or, in an experience I’ve actually had, PE buys a very profitable company using debt, but at a preposterous valuation. So the company that previously was killing it now loses money servicing debt that wasn’t needed or used to actually fund the company. Then you cut where you can and skate along, maybe grow a little then sell to another PE firm or anyone who will buy it at another preposterous valuation.

It’s a fugayzi. It doesn’t exist. It is no matter. It is not on the elemental chart. It’s not effin real.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it worked at first and then people lost their shirts once everyone was going after the same assets