Pruitt Deciding on Jennings

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Jan 10, 2018.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm not that worried any longer. Proven OL coach plus added immediate reinforcements on the OL

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Need a bunch of hits there. Coaching will undoubtedly help

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yep. Hard to be worried about the O-Line. Past 16 seasons have shown how easy it is to field an effective unit there.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fulmer had good olines when he had good offensive coaches. Kiffin took two walkons and had Hardesty at 1,200 yards and Crompton standing upright. Dooley had a good oline in 2011 and 2012. Butch was left with a great oline and completely mismanaged it.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I don't expect much from the offense next year.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chandler and Callaway are legit threats to score every time they touch the ball. I don't expect a record breaking offense, but there's plenty of good parts for it to be above average

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I'll be impressed if it's top 50.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

There were about 2 offensive lines during that time span that I would classify as "good." And by "good" I do not mean "talented" or "good given the completely sucky level of talent."

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

By what measure do you judge offensive lines? Blocking for 1000 yard rushers and 3000 yard passers?

01 was good to great

02 was bad

03 was bad

04 Tennessee had two 1,000 yard rushers and a good passing game considering there wasn't a single star receiver and there were 3 qbs starting.

05 was a cluster [uck fay]

06 was good (because of Cut playcalling)

07 was good (because of Cut's playcalling)

08 was a cluster [uck fay]

09 was as good as you're going to get for the talent level on the roster

10 was bad, but Simms also held onto the ball for approximately 2 minutes per pass play

11 was a great pass blocking oline, terrible run blocking

12 was great pass blocking oline, good run blocking

13-17 was Butch, who's oline coaches are either at Concord or drawing unemployment

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

2001 isn't in my 16 years.

I would definitely call 2006 and 2012 good O-Lines. 2007 didn't impress me.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kiffin is an alchemist. That o line was smoke and mirrors. If we had 5 blockers to strung together, we beat bama that year. I' not knocking the twins, they played up and beyond any reasonable expectation. But they were not sec starter quality

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Vlad and McClendon were ok. 3 rbs, wr and TE from the 09 team ended up playing pro ball.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jacques McClendon played in the NFL too. Stocker is still in the NFL, he finished this season with the Titans.

14. Ssmiff

Vlad could have been unreal if he had any arm length.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

2 of 5 starting olinemen were 3rd string quality. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If he put any air under that pass to Jones at all in Baton Rouge, we beat them. Was wide-open for him to run under.

(Sorry, I still get upset over that one.)

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not like he was coached all that much as a WR, anyway.

18. Ssmiff

Yeah I know. That team had close to 10 players that played nfl ball though so they weren't without talent.
    Hell is take the sullins brothers over everyone but trey Smith last year. They played their assets off on every play.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2006 wasn't good. 2012 wasn't good relative to the potential they had. We should have been bulldozing people with the way we could stretch the field and the amount of NFL talent those five guys had.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

James Cregg had more to do with that line than Kiffin. Cregg is an excellent OL coach.