POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

People didn't just accept it was settled law. People were told it was from sorts of legal figures, including 3 or 4 of the Justices that unsettled it.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Are they saying death to interracial marriage?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some have my whole life. They point to an old testament verse about tribes not intermingling. It us not a majority opinion, but that clearly doesn't matter. And state populations can't decide, gerrymandering in many states (Michigan, Wisconsin, ohio) guarantee gop control even with clear minority of voters. You only need to convince the right conservatives. Get tucker Carlson to say it and it is well on the way.

After sleeping on it, I think it is totally possible if we continue on this way. If it doesn't come about I will mocked, but fundamentally we are in a place where it is both technically possible and an issue which could quickly rise in prominence due to it not effecting most people and have a biblical justification.

They call it preventing white genocide. Will not be the first time a nazi talking point becomes a mainstream conservative talking point. Ala the great replacement.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I thought that meant to not marry anyone from above the Mason-Dixon line

SetVol13, NorrisAlan and Ssmiff like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would really like it if both Ds and Rs let their parties go to the far left/far right and a third party of just normal people started up.

zehr27 likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Then I am intermingled. Wife is from Long Island.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Intermingled and a pagan. There's no saving you.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

would be awesome

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's basically a different planet.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I took what he was saying as elected Republicans. Are there any elected Republicans saying that interracial marriage should go away? If so, who?

I don't think interracial marriage is one of the issues that will require you to be in one in order to care. It's so blatantly against where we are as a country.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is it?

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Already starting to see stories where doctor's aren't comfortable making the call of when a woman's life is in danger in states where trigger laws have already gone into effect. I shouldn't be surprised when some of these states attempted to sue women for miscarriages, a doctor isn't going to want to spend years in prison unless the patient already flatlining.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes. As demonstrated by 94% of people being in favor of it.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Based on my tired, non lawyer reading of this article, it's definitely not included in Roe in the same way it's included in Loving (not sure about Obergefell). It sounds like this author *wanted* it to be included as part of abortion protection, as he/she felt that would further solidify it:

The cases and background provided seems to go part of the way, but not the entire way to showing that abortion rights are protected by the Equal Protection Clause in the way that interracial marriage is, explicitly, in Loving.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Isn't this what everyone was saying should be the answer yesterday?

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

GOP SENATOR MIKE BRAUN CLAIMS HE DIDN’T MEAN TO SAY STATES SHOULD BE ABLE TO BAN INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE, DESPITE SAYING IT MULTIPLE TIMES

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/03/mike-braun-supreme-court-interracial-marriage

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It seems like a "gotcha" moment, based on the 45 seconds I've spent in review.

Like Float was saying, if you are basing four different decisions in the Due Process Clause in the same way, then you can't remove one and not remove the others. That would be hypocritical.

I think Braun is basically saying the same thing. Nowhere in that video does he say that he thinks states should or would outlaw interracial marriage. He's walking it back because that's what you have to do when the mob comes for you.

And again, I've since brought up that Loving was based PRIMARILY on Equal Protection Clause and Secondarily on Due Process. So it's not really the same thing, at least based on what I've read. But whatever.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst