POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm with you on the innocent mistake part, but a lot of the people who are up in arms about this one were telling Britney Griner the opposite for mistakenly having vapes with residue in them, wanting her to serve 10 years or whatever.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sure, but I am consistent on this. Just send them home and ban them if no real harm was done or intended. We welcome a LOT of foreign nationals, if they want to be hard asses we can be hard asses.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Spending more than 10 years locked up for an accident of no consequence is sick and twisted. Let's be real. People talk about US incarceration? This is as bad as anything here.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

But I hear the state department is involved and the Biden administration is going to apply pressure for resolution.

Lord help them if Trump gets his teeth in this, then it will become politically advantageous to [uck fay] them up and congress will fall all over themselves to do it.

5. Unimane

I agree. People are way too careless with their "lock them up" talk, just as long as it's not them.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

How does someone accidentally travel with loose rounds of ammunition in their bag?

VolDad likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Relatively easily if you used the bag while out hunting. Not saying it isn't a [uck fay] up, but I can see how

8. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Easy mistake to make. I’ve come close before. End of hunting trip, loading up the truck, take bullets out of rifle and put them in a backpack pocket I never use because the box of bullets was already packed up. Thankfully I cleaned out the whole backpack the morning of a flight some time later and found them.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

For me, the guy clearly made a mistake. I also understand how the mistake could happen. But if he knew at any point in time that he had ammunition in his bag, he should have remembered to double or triple check it while packing, and especially for an international trip.

That said, a mandatory minimum of 10+ plus is [uck fay]ing ridiculous for this mistake. Pay a fine, let’s all move on. Let’s not forget, as well, that the TSA missed this on his way out. There should be more questions about that aspect of this story too.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    IP likes this.
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think it’s a tad different because you need to watch your ass when you go to Russia and you shouldn’t necessarily expect the US can bail you out in that situation. US Coast Guard patrols Turks and Caicos shores. A phone call should have this guy back home.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Up to 330k for the boys at UNC.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

A fool and his money are soon parted.

13. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Yeah they’re gonna have to give some to a good cause.

Edit: Probably a lot

14. Unimane

A sliver, at best. The argument was one should know and respect the laws of the country you're entering. Otherwise, suffer the consequences. Both situations were inadvertent mistakes. Both broke pretty serious laws placed in those countries in their respective violations. They were both watch your ass situations, then, considering the violations brought similar consequences in each country.

Yes, Russia is harsher and aiming to hurt America politically, but the argument was Griner deserved it, some malicious law breaker (who "hated America" on top of it all - making her even more deserving of punishment), not that she should've been more diligent. They both were careless and both should've gotten discretion for obvious inadvertent mistakes.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Another point for these 3 men facing jail time for bullets is that the bullets should have been caught by TSA screening.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

TSA is mostly theater.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Now there’s a crack squad of savvy motivated personnel.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Mentioned this last night. This whole thing definitely shouldn’t have gotten past this point.

IP likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

We treat them kind of shitty. I get it.

20. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Checks Notes, Turks and Caicos islands off the travel list.