Reggie Cobb dies of a heart attack

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Apr 20, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I tried to be cool when presented with such stuff, but I childhood idols were an exception to the rule.

I will admit that was a fun call when I called dad and told him I met Reggie Cobb that day.

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

RIP Reggie

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One of the first days I was in school there, I was at Gibbs waiting on the elevator. Door opens, Tee Martin walks out. My jaw drops, he says "hey man". I mumbled something and shook his hand.

Then, the first time I met John Ward, I couldn't speak.

TDVol1989 and A-Smith like this.
  4. CardinalVol

Same with Ward. He graciously smiled, said hello, and shook my hand. The picture of said encounter looks like I peed my pants.

Freshman year at UT I ate lunch with Jeff Hall every Friday because of a football friend. My dad thought I was lying. (Note this was before unlimited cell phone usage....and I feel old.) Anyway, one Friday I asked him if he would come to my dorm so I could call my dad and prove this to him. Jeff being Jeff, he didn't understand the big deal (remember this is the guy who went home, ate a bowl of cereal and went to bed after the Florida game) but did it. That one was a fun one to hang over dad.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I went and sat in a different section at TBA than my usual seats with one of my former college teammates a few years ago. I was extremely lucky to be sitting one row in front of John Ward. My son was probably 4 at the time. During a timeout I turned and told him that I appreciated everything he meant to UT, and how growing up he WAS UT sports to me. He was gracious, humble and said he appreciated my kind words. He looked at my son and told him to soak up every moment with his dad.

My son asked like all kids do, "who is that dad?"

I said, "the best to ever do what he did buddy."

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't see anyone waxing poetic about Bob in 30 years.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Paxing woetic

8. CardinalVol

9. NorrisAlan

10. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Made this years ago hence the poor quality. IMO his ‘87 freshman season is the best single season ever by a Tennessee RB.

justingroves and Tenacious D like this.
  11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That’s awesome, man.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It's pretty cool watching him get 8 yards downfield before anyone touches him.

A couple of other points,
    17 touchdowns.
    [uck fay] every coach Tennessee has hired since Fulmer.
    Also, Tampa Bay was trash.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Dont recall Reggie ever getting stood up or sent backwards in college. What a beautiful runner.

14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I know various message boards are littered with my effort posts about how good he was but allow me to point out one more small thing. Cobb and Jamal Lewis were the best about switching ball hands to the outside and then using their off-hand to setup and work through defenders.

Imo, Cobb’s 60 yard TD run against Duke in ‘89 is the best in Tennessee history.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

24:02

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

17. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Boom! Thanks for finding that. What a phenomenal run!

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Johnny Butler disagrees with you!!

19. CardinalVol

Also worth pointing out what Webb does to the Duke DB at about 23:58 on that.

20. NorrisAlan

Look how often we were in a 2 TE, FB/RB formation.

"We are going to run right THERE, and you won't stop us."