Request for my fellow 8th members

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volnbama, May 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Hey guys, I started a GoFundMe campaign for my mother. She was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease but doctors haven't been able to pinpoint the exact issue. About 4 years ago, her muscles had extreme weakness. It seemed like the issue happened overnight. It got to the point where she couldn't use her legs to push herself out of a chair. She could no longer use steps because she couldn't support her weight. Eventually it spread to her arms and then to her throat. We were referred to a doctor at Vanderbilt and they were unable to pinpoint the cause and they basically said she would just have to live with it. A couple years later we were referred locally at UAB. The doctor gave her infusion therapy as a shot in the dark. The therapy seemed to work as my mom started to gain more strength. However, the treatments are pretty expensive and her insurance will only cover a quarter of the payment. My mom has done everything for me and I would love to give back to her someway. This is my first time running a campaign so I'm still figuring everything out. I haven't shared on Facebook because my mom is extremely stubborn and she's embarrassed by her condition. She believes people will look down on her. I won't ask anyone to donate their money because everyone here has their own bills to pay but if anyone wants to help raise awareness then that would be great. With this being a smaller tight knit message board I figured I could come here to ask for help. If this is against the 8th policy then feel free to delete my post. Thanks Guys and #GBO #WGWTFA

https://www.gofundme.com/gigifundraiser

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sorry to hear this. If this is going to be a long term thing, it may be worth looking into what kind of aid or assistance is available, if any. Talk to the hospital directly as well.

I hate insurance companies.

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

That's awful. I hate to hear that. It reminds me of my cousin. She has been battling something for years. Doctors can't say what it is. She has spells where she can't talk, hardly move. It's awful to see. The spells come out of nowhere it seems.

I hope your mother gets the help she needs. Best of luck to her and your family.

4. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

We hope it's not a long term thing. They said best case scenario is that she had an allergic reaction to something and continued treatment would strengthen her muscles. We've just been monitoring her condition to see if it gets worse. UAB wants to keep doing infusion therapy so we will see

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

My mom has to have infusions every month due to lack of immunity, and they cost $5000.00 a treatment. Her drug costs put her in the donut hole by February.

6. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I understand that completely. Hope your health is all good

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sorry to hear that dude. hope your mom gets better

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Sorry to hear this, VIB, and hope your mother recuperates.

Thanks for letting us know about this, and I will check it out.

If you need anything, yell.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I hate to hear this. Best wishes & prayers for you and your mom.

I'm sure they've tested for this, but I'd like to ask if they've considered multiple sclerosis? Not trying to be nosy, but I have lots of experience with the disease (my dad had it 17 years & I've been diagnosed since 2004) and what you describe seems in line with what MS does. They usually diagnose it based off MRIs, spinal taps and evoked potential tests. I got "lucky" and got to skip the spinal tap due to the results of the other two tests and my family history.

10. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. and jay they ruled out MS but I didn't know that about you. My best friend's dad has a severe case of MS from chemical exposure in the gulf war and it's attacked his body rapidly over the last couple years. I'll be thinking about you

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Thanks man. I've been kicking it's ass & plan on continuing to do so. You keep looking after your mom like I know you will.