Rick Barnes Is Staying

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by NEW COACH, Apr 8, 2019.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yep. No sugar coating it for Barnes now, though, as much as he might try to portay himself as something different.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

isn't hard to believe at all given who their ad is

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Does he, though?

He might be willing to leave his current job for another job = mercenary?

I mean it just seems like a lot of people are applying some weird standard to these guys that doesn't seem to apply to most anyone else. Who on here gets a call with a job offer that says they'll offer significantly more money and just says, "Don't even want to hear about it."?

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'd probably take it. You wouldn't catch me playing both sides of the fence by also saying "I love this and that and this about UT" after that job fell through trying to sell himself as loyal to UT.

We know you wanted to leave. It is what it is. I don't blame him because UCLA is a better job, but don't try to make things sound rosy.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

the narrative before was that it wasn't just about money, and he decided he wanted to stay here. now it is spun as, "he is just being honest!" as if I wasn't being told "it isn't just about the money" last week. I'm not mad about it being about the money. I already knew that and the dummies saying otherwise were trying to make it seem nobler have now shifted to a stance of pragmatism.

he's a merc. we owe him nothing. everything about Tennessee is worth exactly whatever his check is. fine.

So don't wrap it up in religion and God having a plan. God isn't money, and that praying schtick wasn't for you or God, but for show.

He can win a national title here, but he still exposed himself as not being anything but a merc. which is fine. just don't insult me with God's plan being written on your pay stub and expect me not to jeer. I wasn't even the slightest bit of cynical about the guy's use of faith before this. [uck fay] it, I should have known better. And he and many others probably don't see the emperor has no clothes. oh well. God wills it.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Let us not lose sight of Ramey confirming that Barnes has yet to sign that new contract.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

and how he just broadcasted he is available for the highest bidder. that God works in fiduciary ways

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I find it hard to believe anyone here who prays, hasnt prayed about $ before, or about deciding to or against taking a new job for more money, asking for guidance, signs, etc.

Tar Volon likes this.
  9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There's no reason to think he wants to leave. He might find UCLA a more attractive destination. That doesn't mean he thinks UT is a cesspool.

justingroves likes this.
  10. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'm thinking they signed a MOU.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What would we owe him if he were not a merc?

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

People wanna gripe about barnes. They are gonna find a reason.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You're misconstruing what I've said pretty badly.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well I just find it weird that coaching critiques were for the most part shot down all throughout the season. Now, he can't catch a break for looking at a job that offered more money? Very odd to me.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

a cushy golden parachute to the AD offices when he's done. reluctance to can him if he isn't meeting record expectations. that sort of thing.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

"We know you wanted to leave."

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't realize Rick was in financial distress. let's pass the plate.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He said it. Barnes said he was going to leave if the buyout had been covered.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Exactly. The kind of thing that ruins programs. We owe him nothing the minute he becomes ineffective as a coach, regardless of his loyalty. UT athletics are bigger than Rick Barnes, Phil Fulmer, whoever.

justingroves likes this.
  20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I want to go to UCLA does not equal I want to leave Tennessee. If he wanted to leave Tennessee he'd be at UCLA or somewhere else. He probably likes it here quite a bit.