RIP Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

2. kidbourbon

[video=youtube;O39psaFgk_U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O39psaFgk_U[/video]

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

4. kidbourbon

If the category is greatest fights that never happened, I would nominate Pryor v. Duran as my numero uno. There's a story behind why they never fought that I used to know but forgot, but man oh man they should have. Would have been one for the ages.

5. kidbourbon

Pryor v. Hearns: 1976 National Golden Gloves Lightweight Finals

[video=youtube;j6VYKnM-OeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6VYKnM-OeA[/video]

6. kidbourbon

And he was slated to fight Ray Leonard before Leonard had the detached retina. Leonard would have had problems aplenty with Pryor.

7. hatvol96

Not sure about the story, but my guess is that by the time they would have fought Pryor couldn't add the weight to fight Duran and Roberto couldn't lose the weight to go down.

8. hatvol96

Pryor was a younger version of Hagler. He would have eaten Leonard alive.

9. hatvol96

The Orange Bowl fight with Arguello is the boxing equivalent of Savage v Steamboat at Wrestlemania 3.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Of course, the question about the Arguello fight was whether or not Panama Lewis, a known cheat, spiked Pryor's water bottle. Still, Pryor was one of the great ones, who could have been even better without the drug issues. Drugs had him washed up by age 30. Loved his style, though, very aggressive and entertaining.

11. kidbourbon

I love his style, too. Skillful boxing, but super aggressive. His chin was legendary.