Rogan: Escaping Scientology

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

First, I don't know shit about Scientology, beyond whatever I've gleaned in casual passing - e.g. Tom Cruise, some sort of weird money-making system, South Park hates them, etc.. I guess that I've always just chalked it up to being like unions, college protest groups, Presbyterians, men who wear square-toed shoes, and people who take hot yoga classes, which is to say, well-known but largely harmless cults.

But, I listen to Joe Rogan's podcast, and often go back through his archives for things I may have missed, and recently ran across this snippet of his interview with Ron Miscavige, the father of the Scientology's CEO / High Priest (?) / leader David Miscavige, as he described his clandestine escape from Scientology.

It's interesting, to say the least, but I thought it might also serve as an impetus for a discussion on Scientology itself, as I'd like to learn more about them, and your collective thoughts on the matter.

[youtube]hog6cCuaY9Q[/youtube]

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It's a money making scheme, where the leaders started believing they were all powerful because some rather un extraordinary people gained extraordinary wealth and power.

I like square toe'd shoes, and wear them often.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A bar bet that went bad.

4. Tenacious D

Anyone here a scientologist, or had any personal experience with one?

I do wonder how IP's argument on removing the tax-exempt status of churches might be perceived, after learning that this group also enjoys the same exempt status. A compelling argument could be made for its removal, simply by using Scientology as the chief amongst sinners, IMO.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think we've had some discussions on Scientology before. I think someone has done a reading?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's awful. Being born into scientology is no different than being born a slave.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's a wretched organization.

8. NorrisAlan

If you want tax exempt status, I think your books should be open.

Looking at you, NFL.

I am sure there is an argument against this, but I am having a hard time thinking of one. It would be amazing to see what some of these mega-churches are paying their pastors.

9. NorrisAlan

And how are they Scientologists not under investigation for unlawful confinement?

10. Tenacious D

I can't imagine any scenario by which the NFL should enjoy tax-exempt status. That's insane.

The "open-book" policy on tax exempt entities is an interesting one. Card or someone else with actual expertise can weigh in, but I was thinking that this info was already publicly available, somewhere. But then, some entities could just choose to make it publicly available, or part of it, even absent a legal requirement.

I'm not aware of a single church that doesn't make it's expenses known to its members, and which would certainly include the pastor's salary, but that's just my own personal experience. But I'd never consider attending any church that didn't make its financials well and widely known.

11. Tenacious D

Is this hyperbole?

Legit ask - again, I know very little about them.

12. Tenacious D

Let's nominate a few here to go and get readings.

I nominate IP and TennTra, so long as someone films and posts the footage here.

This concludes the nomination process.

13. NorrisAlan

Beyond a doubt they would not let you film it.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are conditioned to work for little or no compensation. If you leave the group, they bill you hundreds of thousands for your board and upkeep. It isn't hyperbole. Check out the HBO special going clear.

I've read and listened a lot about scientology, but I'm on mobile right now.

Norris wasn't kidding about this starting as a bar bet, by the way. Hubbard bet that he could start a religion and make money fooling people.

15. Tenacious D

WTF is this bullshit? I didn't know if you were kidding. Guess not.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Stacey Carosi did a recent documentary on her leaving "the church".

You need to watch it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tenny, they currently forbid pregnancy without permission and force members to abort.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

They teach children to spy on their parents, spouses to spy on one another, and report behavior that is not in line with the church.

If you speak out, all of your family and friends shun you and act as if you're dead because you are a "subversive." If you continue to speak out against the church, you are often followed, sabotaged, and sued at every available opportunity.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some European countries have banned this church as a cult, but it still enjoys protection in the US. It is as close to the antichrist of revelation as I hope we ever see, in that it completely takes hold of people's lives while masquerading as a wholesome group for the benefit of mankind, with fancy movie star members.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Leah Remini's show about exposing Scientology was both educating & scary.

That said, I'll perform "audits" on anyone that needs one. I'll give you a good price. I just won't tell you what the price is until after you've grabbed the cans & the audit is complete.