Rumored that Chaney is interviewing with the Rams

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Jan 17, 2012.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I dont either

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

?, If he did, I don't remember it.

From my perspective 3 or 4 is big turnover.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

6 is a red flag IMO.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You don't get it. All of the guys we hired the first time around were awful, and we are glad to be rid of them. All of the guys we hire this time around are terrific, and we are ecstatic to have them.

All of that changes, of course, if some of the guys we hired the first time stay, in which case it is wonderful that we keep them.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Agreed, nothing positive about the turnover.

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I think Sunseri is a downgrade from Wilcox...JMO. Also I dont like Chaney at all or his gameplanning, but Im not sure what good its going to do us if he leaves anytime before next season. #1 Who the hell would we go after, and #2 No matter who we bring in, it will take at least another season to get the offense installed. Maybe I am being unfair to Chaney and would love to be shown otherwise, but I am just not convinced that he is capable of putting together a good gameplan and then making adjustments during the game, but he would be a better option to keep no matter who you are bringing in imo.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That kind of turnover we are having usually doesn't happen to a 5-7 team. 5-7 teams usually fire coaches and get better ones, we are doing the exact opposite. Its like the athletic department is being run like the former Lehman Brothers. Lets just claim bankruptcy already and get on with life.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Purdue 1998-2000 is why I want to see what he can do against SEC defense with a legitimate QB and receivers.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Dooley and an inexperienced staff going into the make or break season of his tenure. I don't want to see him fail, but next year has the making of a cluster [uck fay] on the horizon.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Florida just took the OC i'd want, from Boise.

Washington State just made Leach HC.

God, let it be someone who at least keeps us guessing the next series of plays, at least through September.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Drew Brees had a lot to do with that. Brees seems to be able to put up ridiculous numbers no matter who th OC is. With that said I still would like to see Chaney stay, he is most likely our best option.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Would you really want Leach to be the OC? I wouldn't want him near Tennessee at all.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I would take Phillip Montgomery in a second. What he did with RG3 was amazing.

14. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I was looking at that guy he calls the plays as well? If so bring him to me. But he is a Texas for life kinda guy.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He calls the plays from what I understand. Texas guy or not, he gets paid peanuts right now, money will talk.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Glad to make this my first post. Jim Chaney was brought by Kiffin for the sole purpose of dropping Drew Brees's name in the living room of impressionable young minds. The corpse of Homer Smith would have done just as good of game-planning/calling plays as Chaney last season.

17. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Hunter alone makes us fit that mold. If he is healthy this entire season he will easily break 1000 yds.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He'll probably break Meachem's record. The thing is, I don't know if that is consistent enough to beat the good teams on the schedule.

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't think it is by itself. Throw in Rodgers playing decent and an improved running game and it is.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And even if that type of "big play" offensive philosophy were to work, its doubtful to do so with enough consistency, no matter what personnel you've got - and especially against the NFL JV defenses of the SEC.

Of course, this might even work next season - if Hunter returns to his pre-injury form - but think about 2013, and trying to run that offense without Bray / Hunter / Rodgers (because they're all gone, and if you don't believe that, please see the mass exodus from the coaching staff as a precursor).

I don't care what our run to pass ratio is (I actually like the high-flying offenses, see my continued and misguided fascination with Leach, Mike aka The Pirate)- be it 100:1 or 1:100, but I know this, at some point in every game (oftentimes several) you simply must be able to exert your will and run the ball. And until Cheney or whomever is running the O not only realizes, but actually makes it a reality, the rest is almost entirely unimportant.