Running Game This Year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jul 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I assume it's Lane's job to lose, but does anybody think he can really handle it? Or does anyone think any of the incoming freshmen might win the job?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think Lane and Neal get it done, sharing the load. It won't be stellar, but it will be serviceable as long as the passing threat looms.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Agree with IP. I think our passing game (barring injuries) will open up our running game.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bourque is going to be given every opportunity to win the job. I don't see a 6' 3" TB staying healthy though.

Young has supposedly looked very impressive this summer, but he's a midget.

Neal hasn't gotten any tougher and refuses to run between the tackles. He may bust a big play or two, especially a wheel route out of the backfield, but I don't expect him to be a consistent threat.

Lane is probably the best overall back and I expect him to hold off everyone else.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

While he ran against the 2nd team, I was somewhat impressed with Lane at the O&W game. You can never measure a team's success by that scrimmage though.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

By committee, I imagine. I think all of these guys could have something to offer, but none are 25-carry workhorses.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I watched some old Charlie Garner highlights last night then went to bed and cried.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

This.

Also, whatever happened to Tom Smith? I thought he was a 5* with a 3* knee bionically repaired to make him 6*?

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yep. I've also heard Pig is getting his chances and is looking pretty good.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You've got Smith confused with Lane.

Smith is a short yardage guy. He's not really quick or fast, but he isn't scared of contact.

11. CardinalVol

Whatever it's worth, I hope that we do have one become the main guy that gets at least the plurality of the carries. I'm not a fan of 3 or 4 backs getting 5-10 caries each.

12. cotton

Possible I'm confused. We have recruited so many 5* guys that were 3* because of injury/bias/racism that it is easy to get mixed up.

13. cotton

There are rare exceptions (see LSU,) but that usually happens because none of the 3 or 4 guys are very good.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can't get in a rhythm either. Qho is the back from Louisiana?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Do you mean Quenshaun Watson? He's from Georgia and is another tiny speedster.

Bourque is from Louisiana

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bourque is the onw

17. CardinalVol

I'm a fan of using 2 backs. Give one 55-70 percent of the meaningful snaps and the other 30-45.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I've hit moronic on here on someone, but I didn't mean too, so over look it.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

By the end of the year, Lane will be the feature back imo.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't think Neal will ever be anything more than a gadget.