school vouchers are great... unless wrong religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 19, 2013.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If its available to everyone what's the issue? One idiot doesn't make it a bad idea

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

On one hand as long as you're meeting the minimum level of academic requirements what does it matter what else might be taught? On the other, why is any federal dollars being used to teach religion?

What happens when the first Muslim school student goes jihad on someone or when a fundamentalist Christian school turns out an abortion clinic bomber? I like vouchers for purely secular schools, I'm not in favor of religious ones, if for no other reason than most "religious" private schools where I live suck worse than the public ones.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're fine with tax money going to whatever under the guise of "education?"

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Vouchers are just a way to divide the haves and have-nots, while ignoring the underlying problem.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

It does already.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

How does interjecting religion help?

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Not what I was talking about, just how money is being thrown everywhere, hoping something will stick.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

many of these religious schools produce some of the finest students in the country.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no it's a way to divide the give a shits vs don't give a shits and personally i don't give a shit about the the don't give a shits. most of these programs are income tested anyway.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

They also produce some of the biggest religious zealots intent on a Theocracy for the US too. Just being fair and balanced.

12. JayVols

I've got ways to take care of the I don't give a shits, but nobody gives a shit what I think. Therefore, I don't give a shit about those that don't give a shit about me making me an I don't give a shit by definition.

*puff puff gasp wheeze*

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ok, but forcing these kids to public school is going to make what sort of difference there? what % of religious schools are of the wackjob variety? I don't really have an answer, but i'd bet less than 1 in 4.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

http://youtu.be/VW27kyh7PVM

16. JayVols

Come to NE TN. I'd love to have you stay with me. I'd have you countrified in no time.

I wouldn't force them into public schools. I wouldn't let them use public money to go to privates either.

Actually, both yours and my views on this are a bit hypocritical. I, as a moderate/liberal on this board, favor using public money in some places and not others. (I'm sure in more places than you.) And as a conservative, you tend to despise govt intruding on the private sector. We're upside down on this bro.

17. JayVols

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If they have no money they will surely be forced into the public schools.

how is this govt intruding on the private sector? this is an attempt to reward well run schools and punish poorly run schools. what could possibly be more free market? we aren't talking about NEW MONEY we are talking about using the same money more efficiently.

19. JayVols

Those without money are forced into lots of things. Glad to hear you now support a public healthcare option. Welcome to the club. Beer is in the fridge.

If they take public money, they must abide by federal mandates. That's intruding, no? And if there's no standards to be held to, your money could go towards anything that claims they are a school. Plus the poorly run schools get worse. Then you have the ultimate goal, the complete privatization of education in this country.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Saying I'd like people to be able to use their tax money how they like means I support public healthcare? whaaa?

I am fully in favor of the complete privatization of education.