SCOTUS ruling

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jun 21, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Voted 9-0 against NCAA over athlete compensation. NCAA's model is being totally destroyed and they better figure something out ASAP.

Hatred of the NCAA - bringing Americans together.

Memtownvol, cpninja, SetVol13 and 4 others like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nature is healing.

3. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

4. CardinalVol

IP likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

6. CardinalVol

I got a great laugh out of the NCAA lawyer saying that he was only speaking for himself and not everyone because no one else signed on to it.

IP likes this.
  7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The number of "this is going to ruin college sports" takes on VN to the point where they are some wondering about their interest in Vol athletics in the future is, alternatingly, astonishing as well as not so. The number of average fans who truly buy into the amateur status as some kind of quaint, higher existence within college sports is amazing. The amateur stuff was just as stupid and farcical when they tried to promote this with the Olympics back in the day, too. I remember those people predicting the demise of the Games, as well.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

They are on Finebaum whining Dailey. This is how I picture them...

[​IMG]

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I love the argument, "If the QB or RB make a lot of money then the offensive lineman won't block for him".

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think it's fair to point out the college athletic landscape will be drastically different, especially considering the limited number of schools that will be able to pay their athletes (assuming that gets allowed). But that doesn't change my opinion that payers should be allowed to get paid.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I did not think it was the school paying the athlete but rather the athlete being able to get paid for their jersey sales, appearance fees, NFTs, image, etc.

12. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

That’s the next step - which I don’t really like. Just keep booster payments under the table and don’t bother investigating anything or punishing anyone. Just let it be.

Dont really have any issue with profiting from their likeness. Just don’t wanna go down that road of how much salary each athlete gets and all the Title IX fallout.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm talking more to the future when SCOTUS inevitably allows players to be treated as employees. I think college sports will radically change then based on the simple economics of such an allowance. The NIL stuff now being allowed doesn't change the game in any meaningful way as far as I see.

14. KyleAlexanderfan

There are going to be so many loopholes and gaming the NIL system though. I don’t know how they’ll handle it. Prepare for every athlete to have some kind of onlyfans or patreon and boosters/fans buying them that way.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They’re already being paid.

I don’t think it will change college athletes too much

lylsmorr likes this.
  16. KyleAlexanderfan

Onlyboostersdotcom

VolDad likes this.
  17. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

A cottage industry will spring up overnight where slimeballs attempt to extract wealth from college athletes.

Edit: Obviously this is not a new concept, I mean a new industry/ means of extraction.

18. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Didn’t the old bawl coach some time back outline a plan on how easy it would be to pay all athletes at the school for a single digit percentage of the school’s annual income?

19. KyleAlexanderfan

So far we have a walkon WR, Velus Jones, Theo Jackson and Bumphis posting NIL deals. This feels like it will burn out quickly for 98% of athletes.

Hopefully see something cool from Fulky tomorrow.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That guy looks like he was born to sell insurance