Shoop, "Nobody will run the football on Tennessee."

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, May 3, 2016.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Thought the D played very well. Could have been better, but I chalk it up to play a solid opponent first game of the year.

Offense is a different story.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Giving up 184 yards on the ground to a Sun Belt team that had a passing game that was average, at best, is far from playing well. I think that some of that can be contributed to Shoop's first game and I'll think they'll settle in and be fine, but last night was ugly.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Ding ding ding. This guy, unlike Indy, not a dumbass

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Shoop said NOBODY will run the ball on UT this year. Game 1 and piddly ass App State proved him as full of shit as his boss.

5. chavisut

They're a run heavy team. What was their total offense and points scored?

Plenty to complain about. Defense is at the very bottom of that list.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Don't agree. Against a team that clearly couldn't throw the football, we gave up 182 rushing yards. That isn't good defense. I'm fine with the points, because one touchdown was gifted, but the defensive line was weak. LB play was mediocre. Secondary was actually solid.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Again disagree. If that DLine is our standard, we're in trouble. No dominance at the point of attack.

8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

While I agree with you lets not lose sight of the subject of the thread. The mother****er said "Nobody runs the ball on UT this year". Mother****ing App St ran the mother****ing ball on UT last night. If they don't get that shit fixed think what's going to happen when we get to league play.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'm with you here. Defense got the job done, but they didn't outclass ASU, and they should've, especially on the line

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Fair enough. I'll concede that point. Looked up the box score from their game against Clemson last year and they went for 202 on the ground, so definitely not as bad as I originally thought.

11. chavisut

It's an odd look. Four of the top 30 offensives averaged more rushing yards than passing last year. Appy State was one of them.

Va Tech or UF crams 200 down our throats, I'll freak.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If the front 7 looks like it did last night, they will.

And for my money, KMac looked like the best of them when I watched him.

13. chavisut

That's fair. I'm not worried.

14. chavisut

Nearly identical numbers. Only difference is Clemson's offense scores a lot of points.

15. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Defense was fine IMO. Got gashed at times but that comes down to DL rotation and no JRM making adjustments.

His ejection was a critical hit to the D's effectiveness. Not only in a presnap read way but also they favored McDowells side after he was out.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

appy st run d was better than ours. some of that is pure scheme and I could defend our run with newbies, but we didn't have holes like they did.

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Our offensive scheme can't make holes, regardless of talent.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I thought we ran the ball pretty effectively in our gap schemes but was getting killed in zone.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the blocking doesn't make holes by scheme and the scheme makes LB job easiest in all of football. Stare at Hurd pre-snap and sprint toward his helmet, which is most likely to run to the opposite tackle, post snap, meet him there, make tackle along with the other 3 LBs waiting there with you. Stand up, do it again.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that zone scheme in this offense, with no credible threat to go a different direction, is unworkable. It simply cannot work - at all - ever.