Shrout

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 29, 2018.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

You dont gain much if anything with Chryst IMO. I think overall what we get accomplished this season would be about the same regardless of which one is playing. In that case you keep the younger guy happy. If Shrout or Maurer are good enough to beat him out next year then so be it.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's just it: he hasn't been beaten out. Changing to Chryst won't make much difference other than further damaging the psyche of the guy who will be back.

If Shrout were significantly better, he would be playing.

3. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I don’t think it’s going to be that lopsided. They’re 4-4 and just beat Southern Miss. Much better team than UTEP.

4. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

They won’t play Shrout this year unless JG and Chryst both get hurt. Needs weight room time.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's all mental with Guarantano. He throws a nice ball and has good arm strength. He just doesn't see the field and takes too long to make decisions.

lylsmorr likes this.
  6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Happens when you spend two years under a moron with no QB coaching

utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He does lack an internal clock - but it’s much worse off the field, than on.

It’s obvious to me that he is no better at knowing when to throw it on the field, than when it’s time to study and learn the playbook, to watch film, or otherwise be better prepared.

That’s what that “deer in the headlights” is - the symptom of a complete lack of preparation.

I’ll start blaming the coaches just as soon as they give him more than 1-2 reads a play (80% of his routes are 1-2 receivers, at most), or his OL when they fail to give him less than 3 seconds to locate / aim / throw - but for as shitty as they are, he usually has at least 3 seconds to let it go.

But as long as he doesn’t have any inking as to when a blitz is coming, or still obviously struggles to read a defense (and I mean, just man-to-man or zone....not even the actual defense), well, that’s all on him.

And I agree with everyone who says that the guy is absolutely tough as nails. I really, really do. But it’s starting to look more and more like he’s only tough because he has to be, and he only has to be because he his completely unprepared to do the work necessary to play quarterback at this level.

But he’s only “tough” insofar as his lack of preparation requires him to be, and much in the same respect that a guy keeps getting up after being repeatedly shocked by pissing on an electric fence. Yeah, he’s tough as hell, for sure, but only because he couldn’t be bothered with knowing and remembering where the electric fence is, or has been too unconcerned with remembering what happens when he again forgets, and stupidly thinks that he can still piss anywhere behind the barn, without suffering the same fate.

That’s tough, but it damned sure isn’t being prepared.

And when picking a QB, I’ll take prepared over tough, any day of the week.

Why? Because I like to both win football games and don’t like to see people get unnecessarily hurt by easily avoidable things. That’s why.

Dalekanium likes this.
  8. Tenacious D

I somewhat agree.

But there are below-average high school quarterbacks who can identify blitzes and read defenses, and didn’t require college level coaching to learn it.

And I can’t imagine how they could possibly simplify this offense any further, without completely abandoning the forward pass, altogether.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't think much QB development happens at the high school level now. It's one read or check down or bust. System QBs are created

justingroves likes this.
  10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I would have assumed taking a metric shit ton of hits due to the swiss cheese oline, if anything, would have him get rid of it faster.

11. Tenacious D

When you’re unprepared, already difficult decisions don’t become easier when the problems are accelerated.

If you fail to solve a rubik’s cube while sitting on your couch, racing around Bristol at 120mph won’t make the task any easier, or your likely rate of success, any better.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Not with this OL and mind on the future

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Throwing a ball into the stands is easier than solving a rubik's cube. If I was taking those kinds of hits, I'd 1) cry and 2) throw it away after like 3 seconds in the hopes of not having my ribs crushed. It's interesting to me that the hits have seemingly made JG hold the ball even longer as if he's playing 10 or 100 Mississippi rush

14. Tenacious D

It’s curious, but no more so than the deer who stand scared in the road and get ran over, when they could have been spared by taking 3 steps in almost any direction.

15. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

JG, when it comes to the intangibles of the QB position, embodies the "if you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough" mantra.