So it begins

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

And rightly so. But prior to yesterday, a lot of people thought we were on par with mediocre Big East or ACC teams, and that the Cincy game was just everything clicking at once. At the very least, we've shown that's not the case. This isn't 2010 anymore.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We aren't certain that NC State is anything more than a mediocre ACC team. Cincinatti killed them last year.

3. Tar Volon

If you're disagreeing with me, you're going to have to explain how.

Also, they killed Clemson last year. They were kinda spastic.

4. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

They looked like a decent squad. Without the td-safety-td explosion, its a different game. They moved the ball effectively--more so than us for a lot of the game. It's a good thing we made the big plays last night.

5. Tar Volon

They had their fair share of big plays. Their first two touchdown drives relied heavily on long passes to get into the red zone. I actually thought we started moving the ball quite effectively late in the second quarter. The drive that ended in the fumble was actually really nice. And of course the second half touchdown drive didn't have any play of more than 16 yards. There were a whole lot of things to work on, and the big plays certainly made it easier, but we left at least two scores on the field (fumble, Hunter's uncharacteristic 4th down drop at the 20), and I think we were clearly the better team.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I agree TV, We left points on the field. I hope the long pass plays were people out of position because of the newness of the Defense. That can be fixed and I feel that Sal will fix it. As to the O-line, they played better, Neal just needs to run the holes and not try to bounce everything outside, like Lane did he he was in the game. Tiny learned a big lesson last night.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Agreed.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

NC St has a legit QB and a pretty good offense overall.

Their defense is decent but not SEC quality by any means.

Compared to our next major opp.

NC St O > Floridas O
    Floridas D >> than NC St D

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

It appears we are clearly improved in most areas from last year's team. There are plenty of areas that need to be fixed in order to be a contender in the SEC, run blocking and hitting the holes, DBs knowing assignments, containing the QB, and for crying out loud, can't our OL learn the friggin snap count?

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

On the Bray fumble; what is the purpose of Replay Review if you still cant get it right?!? I don't understand it.

11. Beechervol

I don't like the conclusive clause.

If that is called a TD its not overturned. The booth has a better view and speed to watch the play 99% of the time. Let them make the call not matter what was called on the field.

99% of the time it will be closer to accurate IMO.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ask Bob Stoops how accurate those guys in the booth are.

13. Tex_Volfan.

Tex_Volfan. Only Mod Approved Posts

RB, do you mean to say the safeties need to know their assignments? Not the DB's.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This offense and defense are both high risk high reward gambles 70% of the time. I'm okay as long as Sal guesses right the majority of the time

15. Beechervol

Agreed.

Hopefully we get a little better up front as the year goes on and he is able to dial it down a little

16. Tex_Volfan.

Tex_Volfan. Only Mod Approved Posts

You realize we had key guys out in that game?