Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It might have to do with the fact that people actually watch the men's World Cup. Wasn't the women's prize pool a higher percentage of revenue already?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, but FIFA chooses how it does things. It is the same org, so it is a willful choice not to put work into growing the women's side. Us soccer took the bad rap for FIFA. The prize pool on the men's side is more than adequate.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

And let's be clear, it isn't just unequal. A round of 16 being more than winning two WC is kinda silly. Fixed for the US, though. Not an issue for our teams.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Not used to defending FIFA, but if the women's prize pool is already a larger percentage of revenue what do you want them to do to make it "fair"? It's not their fault people don't want to watch a watered down version of the sport. It's why I don't watch MLS.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

They could be agnostic to the specific competitions to help close the gap in interest

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

MLS is actually pretty entertaining for what it’s worth.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I honestly have no idea what this means.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

Would it? I doubt it. The differences in the game are still what they are.

tvolsfan likes this.
  9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't think that will close the gap in interest one iota. I just don't think the interest is there among the sport watching populace to tie up their time with women's sports, save a few here and there.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

They could do exactly what us soccer has done along with the women's and men's teams. Lump the revenues and prize pools rather than keeping them two separate pipelines. Hell, they could even create a prize system based on joint performance.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think we have unlocked the female audience in any sport yet.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

What would be the opportunity cost in trying? None.

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Outside of non team sport individual Global superstars like the Williams sisters, the University of Tennessee and Pat Summit probably have unlocked an audience for women’s sports better than anyone else in the world ever has

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I know it's internet edgy and what not, but Bill Burr made a good point. It's not on men to prop up and single-handedly support women's sports, if women aren't interested in watching it... Also the men weren't making this much before they got the eyeballs, the eyeballs are what allows the payouts.

tvolsfan, ole_orange and NorrisAlan like this.
  15. NorrisAlan

I just don't think there is an audience. Women that love sports are watching the men play just like the men who love sports watch the men play. WNBA has been around for a looooong time and no one watches it save a few die hard fans, no matter how much ESPN and its advocates push it. At some point, we just have to accept that most women's sports are, frankly, dull. I would be like it to be different, but it just isn't.

Now, I am all for spreading the wealth in a supposedly "nonprofit" organization like FIFA, make it more egalitarian and gender neutral. But Budweiser and Toyota are not paying money to be advertised on the women's side.

tvolsfan likes this.
  16. NorrisAlan

I don't think it is necessarily internet edgy, it is just the truth, said in a comedic way for laughs.

tvolsfan likes this.
  17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yea you/Lumberjack/Bill Burr nailed the ultimate problem: women don’t support women’s sports. It’s just a hard sell for most people to invest their spare time into watching an inferior product.

Maybe if trans females raise the level of play and overtake women’s sports on the biggest sporting stages, more people will watch moving forward. Idk

18. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Great save

19. JohnnyQuickkick

Kenny Szczesny

tvolsfan likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

Argentina doing God's work, keeping Mexico out of the Round of 16. So far.