South Carolina thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 26, 2020.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I felt sorry for him. He had about 150 yards worth of receptions over his head or behind him

2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

He's going to be very good for us.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

He did turn the wrong way on the long attempt but in reality i dont blame our wrs for looking backwards to try to catch balls. Thats where they are. This is high level football. Leading wrs and throwing into open areas and windows is expected, especially from a 5th yr senior
    And if you can run 15 yards, do it more often. Extend drives and let the D rest a couple more minutes instead of throwing shit out of bounds. Take 2 or 3 yards. Better than nothing. Irritating for me to watch.
    Is there a player you can think of who plays any sport with less anticipation and reaction skill?

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Did he turn the wrong way or was the throw behind him?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The throw was nowhere near him

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

and the wild thing about that long 3rd down to Thompson, it was a 3rd and 2. Good matchup, but still a little odd that it was JGs first and only read on a 3rd and 2.

7. Ssmiff

The route appeared to be a post corner and he got the db turned. If it was the route, hes supposed to look back over his right shoulder.
    Looking back over the left defeats the purpose of turning the db. Either way my point was instead of floating it 30 more yards downfield when we have a db burned, throw the ball. Hes wide ass open at that point.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

this was many of the 3rd downs. only looked deep

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

A W is a W, it’s better than a L.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Can I say Florida is going to make not be able to look anyone in the eyes for a couple of days?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

A long time away, and a lot chillier.

kmf600 likes this.
  12. Nannerpuss

Nannerpuss Member

It’s odd to think about this being Big Jerm’s first win in a season opener. Also, glad to see JG add some weight. IMO his long run was the first time he’s ever looked like the dual threat he was promised to be. Would love to see a little option mixed in this year.

VolDad likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

You want JG to run the option?
    Hell naw

Volokie likes this.
  14. Nannerpuss

Nannerpuss Member

Only to the degree that SC ran it last night, which was once (I think?) and totally unexpected with their one legged QB. Definitely not with regularity.

InVolNerable likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

I like it myself but feel with JG it actually means he can make 3 different mistakes or poor reads im one play and i picture disaster or a pitch going the other way.

Memtownvol, utvol0427 and Nannerpuss like this.
  16. Nannerpuss

Nannerpuss Member

Yep that’s definitely a very fair take. I recall one of his pitches last night looked a little awkward to my untrained eye. So let’s cap his optioning to 3 times MAX this season and only against lesser competition.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

UT ran it once too, JG got about 2 or 3 yards.

18. Nannerpuss

Nannerpuss Member

Oops I must have missed it. I’m guessing he didn’t channel his inner-Tommie Frazier.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

He's gonna have to at least once a game. Also, has anyone noticed how JG almost always hops into the air almost immediately after tucking it and running from the pocket ?

20. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Here's a condensed version of the game if anyone is interested.