Southern Food Discussion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Nov 14, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Starting a proper thread on this after we derailed another one.

What do you think about Southern food? What do you like?

It always intrigues me the regional differences in Southern cuisine, particularly Southern Appalachian cooking from Deep South cooking. (And then Louisiana is a whole 'nother animal). For example, I grew up eating biscuits and gravy and never saw anyone eat grits or talk about them. I thought it was a Hollywood creation. Now the further the south you go, it's all grits and no gravy. (It seems, at least).

Anyway, use this thread to talk about food the way God intended... with pork fat on everything!

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I never got a taste for gravy, so I have always just been a biscuit and butter guy. Grew up on grits.

Anytime I eat with the family, there is always biscuits and gravy.

I'm also not big on cranberry and turkey, but I'm not sure if that is true with the family or not.

3. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

fried chicken
    Collard greens
    Pinto beans
    Unsweetened cornbread
    And a glass of sweet tea
    My perfect meal

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

One of the joys of marrying a girl born in Baton Rouge and having a brother in law that lives there is being introduced fully to Cajun cuisine.

If I had to pick one last meal, it would probably be -

Fried chicken
    Mashed potatoes w/gravy
    White beans
    Dumplins
    Regular cornbread and/or made from scratch biscuits
    Banana pudding (cold) and/or fried apple pie (specifically one from the BBQ place back home)
    Sweet, sweet, sweet tea

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

There is no reason to ever sweeten cornbread, make it spicy or basically to add anything except sometimes putting butter on it like you would a biscuit. The best way to eat corn bread though, is with Soup Beans. Everyone laughed at me when I came back from Afghanistan because all I really wanted to eat was soup beans and cornbread. I absolutely love that meal. Some people pour milk on it and I guess that's ok, I just never liked it that way. My Papaw would eat cornbread and milk after every single dinner.

6. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

A little Low-Country Boil, anyone?

7. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

Cornbread in milk was my dads favorite desert.

8. CardinalVol

Was a nightly staple for my grandfather as well.

9. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Breakfast:
    Fried Eggs (over medium)
    Bacon and Sausage
    Grits (I like my with cheese, non breakfast grits get garlic and paprika)
    Biscuits and Gravy
    Hash Browns

That's my perfect breakfast... for other meals, I'll have to give it some thought.

I'm surprised no one has talked about pecan pie or molasses cookies (yummy)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  10. CardinalVol

Throw in some fried bologna and maybe home fries instead of hashbrowns and you have it.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Perfect Breakfast: Over easy eggs, Biscuits and Gravy, Fried Bologna, Bacon, Fried Taters, and a big cup of whole milk.

Perfect Lunch/Dinner: Pinto Beans, Cornbread, Mac and Cheese, Fried Okra, Fried Taters, and Sweet Tea.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I love buttermilk pancakes. No perfect breakfast is complete without them

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Fried chicken. Corn bread. ( mom's isn't sweet, so that's my preference, but I just luv corn bread of any sort). Fried okra. Mashed potatoes. Pulled pork shoulder in the Memphis tradition, preferably cooked overnight by our farm worker. Fried okra. Baked sweet potato with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Never was big on grits by themselves but I make a killer casserole with them and cheddar and cayenne pepper. My granddad's homemade pork sausage. I'd never say no to a good low country boil either.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Great thread-

Breakfast-
    Biscuits and gravy
    Eggs either way
    sausage that is a little crispy
    bacon
    country fried ham
    fried bologna

Am I on the way to a heart attack?

Dinner- Fried chicken, or turkey, or ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, cream corn, pinto beans with hogjaw. I could go on and on

Jo, Bill, Lex, Jay, 1971, Hat, Card, Groves, OV and others can attest. Other than OV, I am likely the biggest boy on the board.

15. fl0at_

Eggs over easy. Country fried ham. Syrup on top. Grits. Syrup. Bloody mary. No syrup.

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

not one mention of cornbread. You're southern country boy status is immediately suspended.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Biscuits and gravy, country ham, scrambled eggs, cheese grits, and hash browns for breakfast.

Chicken any way, loaded mashed taters, cream corn, white beans and cornbread.

Holidays - Hog Jowl(New Year's) and Chocolate Gravy(Christmas)

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

country ham is delicious. But, not worth being thirsty for the next three days imo. That probably throws my southern country boy status out too, huh?

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Get out, imo

20. fl0at_

You put syrup on your grits, so you are damn near at my level.

If I could convert you to sweet cornbread, we could be twins.