Spring practice thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by ptclaus98, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

The opponents on defense flop pretty regularly these days, sheesh make do with what you got.

2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Just read the dang charts
    You're welcome,
    Butch

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I have been beating this drum for a while, but I think it’s actually more complicated with Heupel.

He doesn’t want to run out of time. Obviously, calling timeout will help with this.

He doesn’t want the defense to have a chance to reset. Obviously, calling timeout will hurt with this.

Getting out of bounds is the ideal, but if we can’t, I think he’s willing to eat a few seconds getting to the line if he thinks it makes us more likely to hit a big strike on the next play.

Results have been mixed this season, but unlike with some previous regimes, I don’t think it’s total idiocy—it’s a strategic move.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah but he’s going to need to slow it down a little at times as strategery

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Slowing it down also takes a lot of the effectiveness out of it

6. Ssmiff

At times why risk giving the ball back with time left. Or go into half with 2 timeouts to cash in.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

He doesn't have a magic playbook and infallible system, I am sure he is looking to improve and make tweaks. There are balancing factors.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I get it but it doesn’t work. 3 and out. I think that’s an area where he’s gonna have to grow. Figure out how to move the ball a little without the pace. An offensive line would help with that too.

It’s nice that he’s actually highly competent at something, though, without also needing a 2-deep of NFL talent

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah, we have to know when to make the call and when not. I’m okay keeping some timeouts in our pocket if we’re moving the ball better, but sometimes you just can’t get up to the line fast enough to justify it.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Have been hopeful that they are going to adjust the rules to where anyone who is "hurt" becomes ineligible to return to the game for the remainder of a drive. Coaches comments made this past year made it seem like that rule tweak was inevitable. Not sure exactly when or who gathers to make rule changes, but hopefully by the end of the SEC coaches summer meetings that rule change is realized. What Ole Miss did to us last year was smart on their end, but bullshit nonetheless.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That was already shot down several weeks ago.

Poppa T likes this.
  12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Oh. Well nevermind then. That's ridiculous they didn't fix that loop hole.

13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Saban has not "complained" about it enuff, yet.

PilotFlyingJ and Memtownvol like this.
  14. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Oklahomas new off coordinator is going with a very similar offense to Tennessee, he recently commented that rules must adapt to the speed of the game. Didn’t come out and say so but hinted that players flopping on defense was a commissioner level integrity issue that needed addressing now.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Well he saw it first hand last year while at Ole Miss

A-Smith, Memtownvol, IP and 1 other person like this.
  16. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Could be he had a problem with it then. It may have even influenced him some in going to OU.

17. Ssmiff

Don’t recall many spring practices with this little hype

A-Smith likes this.
  18. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

We don't have to talk ourselves into believing this go 'round.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Id like to see it for the rest of the quarter and the next one. If you are hurt enough to need medical assistance and can’t get yourself off the field maybe take a whopping hour off.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I guess I’m not there yet. I’m nervous that we’re not going to be any better than last year tbh. I still think things could go either way with Heupel. The Nico signing is making me more optimistic about the future though. But I’ve already imagined this scenario where we go 6-6 and Nico decommits

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Tar Volon likes this.