Spurrier's coaching stats

Discussion in 'Sports' started by justingroves, Oct 13, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Do you know how many bowl wins South Carolina football had when Steve Spurrier got to Columbia? Three! South Carolina didn't even win its first bowl game until 1995. Spurrier won five bowl games at South Carolina, two more than the program had ever won in its history before he got there. How many coaches have more bowl wins than their school did before they got there.

Hell, he won 11 games three straight years there. That's the equivalent of two national championships at Alabama.

And how about Florida, the Gators were atrocious before Spurrier got there. Do you know how many SEC titles Florida had before Spurrier got there?

Zero.

As in, none.

Mississippi State had a more illustrious football history than Florida did before Spurrier arrived in Gainesville. (Sorry, Mississippi State, but at least y'all had a 1941 SEC title on your resume.)

Spurrier won six SEC titles at Florida. During the 12 years he coached the Gators, he won more SEC titles than he had home losses at the Swamp. I mean, is this real life?

And he also won an ACC title at Duke.

Duke!

In football.

Stole from a Clay Travis article, link below

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/god-bless-steve-spurrier-101215

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he doesn't have all the national titles, but he is clearly one of the best offensive coaches, revolutionary even, to don the headset.

I don't really care for the guy, but he was one of the best SEC coaches ever.

He's on the Mt Rushmore with the General, the Bear and the Midget.

3. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

His 89 Duke team beating Clemson was his greatest win to the is day.

4. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I believe that Duke team beat Tennessee as well.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why did you have to bring that up.

6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

At Neyland, iirc...

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Every coach making 7 figures should send the HBC a thank you card.

8. NorrisAlan

Yes. That contract changed college football (and sports in general) forever, and irrevocably.

9. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

That was the 88 season Duke won in Neyland. That was Tennessee's 0-6 start. Tennessee beat Duke in 89 the year they won the ACC.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

11. MWR

MWR Contributor

What if?

What if UT had changed their offense and recruited Spurrier?

Then the question becomes What if Spurrier had returned to UT to coach?

For sure, I wouldn't have spent the 90s looking for an opportunity to slap that visor off his head.

12. MWR

MWR Contributor

Not sure about Midget Boy. Anyone else have suggestions for the last opening? And cries of "BUTCH!!" or "DDIAPOS" should and will be ignored.

[​IMG]

13. NorrisAlan

I think it has to be Saban or Myer, and between those, Saban. Be sure to accentuate his horns.

14. MWR

MWR Contributor

Actually Saban could be in the picture, he's just so small. Which makes him difficult to detect.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

He beat UT while Head Coach at Duke.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban over Meyer all day

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Actually they half heartedly recruited Spurrier, but the scout decided to recommend UT offer the scholarship to the punter.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

We should actually have these carved into Stone Mountain.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

How about carving ddiapos into one of the horse's ass?