Star Gazing

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Anybody on here enjoy looking at the heavens? I'm the president of the Astronomy Club here on campus, and I love looking for planets and stuff. We just got a brand new 8 inch dobsonian for our club. It gets a pretty crisp view of the moon. Good for checking out craters and what not. Our adviser says we should be able to see ice caps on Mars when it becomes visible at a decent hour. I was just walking home from the library after finishing a paper around 4 am and noticed a really bright star... so I got out the telescope and found out it was actually Jupiter! I could even make out four of its moons, which, according to my starry night software, were Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, and Io. Also, on the actual planet, I could see two of the distinct red lines (they just showed up in an off white) that go around it. I don't know what those are called, but I thought it was pretty neat.

Also, did anyone notice the big circle around the moon? Has nothing to do with astronomy, but cool nonetheless. It is apparently a result of ice crystals forming in the atmosphere, or something along those lines. I didn't really read too in depth on it, but apparently it foreshadows bad weather.

Anyways, just thought I'd post this thread to see if anyone shared my interest for looking at stars and planets. If there is anyone, we can use this thread as a way to talk about what is visible and when.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Again I ask... How am I the gay guy on the site?

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Some are just chosen!

A-Smith likes this.
  4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Haha. You're a good guy, OV.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

How could the president of the damn astronomy club mistake Jupiter for a star? What kind of school are you going to?

By the way, astronomy AND poetry? At an all boys school? C'mon, man. Just come on out. It's cool, only god can judge.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Enjoying seeing planets up close makes me gay? I can understand how people might think poetry is gay, but astronomy? Come on, next you are going to be saying "He plays football? And people call me the gay one on this site?"

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Gotta have something to do besides play with his diddle all day

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm the president because I brought the club back. It was dead, and my roommate and I wanted a telescope to look at shit, so we started it back up. I didn't "mistake" it for a star. I was fairly certain it was a planet, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten my telescope out at 4 in the freakin morning. Seeing as I have no prior knowledge of this stuff, I'd say being able to figure that out is pretty good.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And this guy [itch bay]es about his busy schedule

10. Oldvol75

I see it every time before I flush! LOL

11. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Quick, someone get Indy some aloe. He just got burned.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes. It was my busy schedule that prevented me from typing the paper until last night, which took me until 4 am to finish. I'm running on 2 and a half hours of sleep.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I went from UTVolPJ clone, to neutral, to likely Al Wilson... I must be doing something right!

14. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Reach for the stars Indy..... We are behind you all the way

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

FD is viewing this thread.. What's up FD!?

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Al Wilson doesn't need a telescope to view stars. He reaches up and grabs them at will, for personal inspection.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why does no one actually respond to my threads or stay on topic? I can understand the poetry one not being all that enjoyable for most, but I figured there were bound to be a few people who like checking out planets and what not. It's pretty cool to see something so well despite it being so far away.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

My kid really likes looking at the night sky, so I've tried to go back and remember a few things about it that I used to know. We actually went to a pretty interesting show at the planetarium in LBL this summer; this one was geared towards middle school kids, but it is a neat set-up, and I enjoyed it for what it was. I think they have a pretty active astronomy club there, as well.

19. Oldvol75

There are very few posts on here that even come close to staying on topic. They all end up in 1000 different directions. I think it just saves posters from having to come up with a thread topic sentence.

Plus when NYYVol shows up they all go one way!

20. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I am proud of them you have become Indy