Stock market rigged?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 3, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

[video=youtube;8RFLIj4a2kw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RFLIj4a2kw#t=29[/video]

Thoughts? (after watching the video)

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Cannot watch it right now, but if this is about those guys that trade a thousand times a minute really need to be stopped. That is just straight up stock manipulation.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I enjoyed the bit on the guy who was creating the exchange that forbid, through technology, the rapid traders. That was sweet. Is that what you're linking?

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm pretty familiar with this trading (didn't have time to watch the whole video), but the answer is yes and no. Basically they are unquestionably screwing the retail and small institutional investor, but to the tune of a couple of cents a share. That adds up to a lot of money obviously over the whole stock market, but the average investor is probably losing a couple of $ a year at most. It wouldn't be that hard to curtail this trading with regulation though.

I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis. Liars Poker is a great great book. But in the end he is trying to sell books and therefore grossly exaggerates. I read his book on the housing crisis and it was apparent he really didn't understand derivatives and some of his conclusions were just downright outrageous (still an interesting read though). *he's also a huge liberal so keep in mind the political bias*

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

One doesn't need to be a huge liberal to understand why some people are huge liberals.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the simple fact he left Solomon brothers where he was making $250K a year 35+ years ago as a 24 year old to write books tells you he's a different dude than most.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I honestly can't understand how people are huge liberals

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Absolutely. Like he said, that's $300 mil in someone else's pocket.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can fully understand how people can be huge conservatives or liberals. It is a matter of perspective of our world.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't know how anyone could be a huge proponents of either side. I see them as different wings on the same bird.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I sort of agree, but I also think pure libertarianism is the tail of the bird.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

always the tell of the baptist and the bootlegger, and do gooders who harm

14. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

In other shocking revelations, professional wrestling is scripted and there is no Santa Claus.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I saw him on Jon Stewart. I'll probably read it. I'm a sucker for Michael Lewis books.

16. kidbourbon

Slash isn't real either.

17. kidbourbon

Elaborate.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Perspective...and buffets.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Both sides have their talking points to fire up their base. However there isn't much of a difference between the parties, when you boil it down. They're bought and paid for by the same special interest parties to use the force of government to secure their interest of limiting competition through regulations.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Poor genetic material.