Teach Indy How to Golf

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Indy, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I suck at golf and hate sucking at sports. So I am asking for advice on how to get better. I will list specific questions one at a time and wait for answers before posting the next question. Thanks to anyone who graciously offers his or her assistance. To start it off:

My drive has a major fade to it. I have to aim 45 degrees (or more) to the left of where I want the ball to actually end up. There are often times when the ball leaves the tee aimed completely to the left of the fairway and ends up all the way in the rough on the right side of the fairway. Sometimes this works out okay if I can angle myself properly, but I run into problems once every 6 or so drives when, instead of curving like usual, the ball goes straight.... into the next fairway. Also, I feel like I could hit the ball much further if I could just keep it straight. Any help is appreciated.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm a terrible golfer too but I'd tell you to figure out how to hit it straighter rather than try to compensate for your fade

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Isn't that what I'm doing now?

4. JohnnyQuickkick

You mentioning aiming to the left to compensate, I'm saying don't do that.

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The answer is in your post, "I suck at golf"

Yes you do so just stay the hell off the golf courses so you don't slow me down. There is a straight forward honest response. Can you handle it?

6. JohnnyQuickkick

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If I don't aim to the left, I will hit the ball into the forest, lake, river, or hole directly to the right of my own hole every single time. I have no idea how to hit the ball straight, which is why I'm asking here.

8. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

did you used to play baseball?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes. And since I'm old, I now play softball as well.

10. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I used to have a lot of movement in my swing from playing baseball and it caused me to have a huge fade off the tee. Honestly I can't really tell you what to fix without watching you swing. I suggest you start playing at a lot of cheap courses until you get better.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

Get one of these, go cut your yard with it. Seriously. Harvey Penick swore by this.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Take a lesson. It's next to impossible to give somebody advice about a golf swing on the Internet.

13. NorrisAlan

This too.

14. punkcat

punkcat Member

Stand closer to the ball.

15. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

The answer to most of these questions is: hit lots and lots of golf balls. Like hit balls every day for a year. If that's too expensive, get a shag bag and find a field where you can hit and go pick them up yourself.

Slices are usually caused by outside-in swing path, coming over the top or cutting across the ball to cause the sideways spin. Throw in an open club face, and you've got a helluva banana slice.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I used to do this to. Think about the spin you're putting on it; It's more than likely your swing path isn't straight or your club face is open - or both. I went to the range, hit a shitload of balls and focused on fixing those things.

But I'm terrible at golf too, so take that advice with a grain of salt. It did help for me though.

17. NorrisAlan

And put all of your change in your left pocket.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Carry a cooler in the back of your cart. Put a handle of Jim Beam, a two liter of coke, and fill the cooler with ice. Bring a Tervis and drink as much as possible. After that, who gives a crap about the slice/fade.

Also, your club face is open. Watch YouTube is one way, but the best is take a lesson or two.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Trying playing your ball further up in your stance. Take a lot of practice swings and try to see the head of the driver move through the ball, in the practice swing. If you aren't seeing the driver head square up and run straight as you pass by where the ball would be in your stance, adjust the forward/backwards placement of the ball, relative to your stance, until the club straightens up.

That way you don't have to mess with your swing, you can just play with your stance.

If you end up placing your ball too forward, you'll catch the ball on the upswing, and you'll hit a pop fly. So play with that. Play with how high you tee it up, as well. Too high, you'll hit off the top of the driver, and hit a pop fly. Too low and a you'll catch it on the bottom, and hit a worm burner.

Ranges are good to just go out and work your swing. But the goal isn't to hit as many balls as fast as you can, but to watch that club head all the way through the impact. You might have to slow your swing speed down a hair until you can see the club better, and then speed it back up once you get the positioning correct.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Obviously you're not a golfer.