Teach Indy How to Golf

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Indy, Aug 3, 2015.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yeah, Indy. Save that for the El Camino.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd recommend hitting the ball straight down the fairway, instead of hitting it off to the right. You do that, and then you won't have to aim to the left. Hope that helps!

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Be the ball. Ba-nanananananaaa.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Be on balance all the time.
    Hit the ball.

Don't think about anything else.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Internet advice is tough. Get a lesson.

If that's not feasible.... Grab a 9 iron or wedge. Put a towel under both arms. Swing from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock without dropping the towels. Emphasize getting "through" ball by finishing with belt buckle towards target. small scaling it will help you get swing path down. Gradually build from there.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Go somewhere that has a variety of brands. Decide if you want metal or graphite shafts. The seller can help you with the pros and cons. Hit a few different brands of irons with the shafts you want until you find a brand that feels good to you. Have a set of that brand fitted and customized for you.

Test some drivers and putters. Buy what you are hitting best.

Take lessons.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That could actually make things worse. He could be standing so close that as he comes through the ball he leans back to hit it which causes him to open the face of the club. If he stands further back he will have to reach/commit to the ball which might help him keep his club face lined up properly.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Real good advice.

9. punkcat

punkcat Member

I had a terrible slice on all woods, 3 and 4 irons. I'm 6'3 and moving closer helped me straighten it out. Doesn't work all the time but helps.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This was helpful. The wall of text from float was painful. Lot of nine to three drills with at least back elbow tucked to side. Will force inside swing.

Slice isn't only about swing path or open face. It's open face relative to direction of travel of club. Tuck that right elbow and it will stop the left swing path. Once swing path is straight loosen grip and let them naturally close club face.

Simple is better. Tuck that back elbow and stay loose. Eventually, turning inside will feel natural.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What do you mean by tuck the elbow?

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Pin that thing to your right rib cage. Same as holding the towel there. If you keep that elbow there, you have to bring the club from the inside.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I quit golf because I couldn't quit slicing. Got tired of being in Randy's way.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Staying loose is huge. The day beginners realize it's about swinging fast rather than hard, is the day they see huge gains. Once they realize the 120 and in game, they realize how to score.

It's been a crazy summer for me golf wise. Got to play a bit more at times, but it's been with my dad. Every year the past 3 years he's fought the laterals. A scratch golfer to boot. He's very, very handsy. It's to the point he won't play unless it's just me and we go out in the evening. He's to the point he's about to hang it up for good. I've taken it upon myself to not let that happen. But they's only so much of that noise and visual a brother can take before I look at him and say I've gotta go home. Hell he has me afraid to pull the trigger at times.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Just take it back and turn it loose.

16. kidbourbon

The laterals?

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The "S" word that shall remain nameless by me.

Basically a ball that's hit off the hosel that travels at a 90 degree right and makes a sound that will make everyone within earshot nauseous.

18. kidbourbon

Rhymes with "Frank"?

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

don't say it

20. kidbourbon

I didn't.

What's the deal with this word? Is this like calling an umpire the C word?