Tennessee vs. Colgate - Round of 64 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Mar 22, 2019.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

They haven't played us yet, though.

TennTradition likes this.
  2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

A 20 point beat down from a team that has played their fourth game in a row. That should have been the wake up call. We see that it wasn’t.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I just don't agree with you at all here. The wake up call from today's game is that we can't sleep walk through any of these games, or we are going to get beat, regardless of how bad our opponent is.

What is the wake up call sent by the loss to Auburn? That we can't play like shit against a top 20 opponent and expect to win? How does that impact today's game?

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Survive and advance. 30-5.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It sure as hell doesn’t look like it.

And from the rapid reaction in the post-game, Iowa excels at the zone D.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Survive and advance is a nice phrase, but teams playing these kinds of games don't usually last long. In trying to remember the other final four teams who had a bunch of close games, it's apparent you need an easy win or two. It's hard to live on the razor's edge. I only remember NC State '83 and Arkansas '95 having a whole tourney of tight games.

A-Smith likes this.
  7. Tenacious D

We’ve been saying this for the last 3-4 weeks.

It hasn’t yet.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Its more difficult to attack the middle of the zone when all 5 defenders are basically in the paint daring you to shoot over a 3/2 zone. So, you have to attack at the baseline or just plain make 3 pt shots. These are high level players on scholarship to make shots, so take and make.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

One of the problems we have in giving up the three is our inability to stop the drive. We allow teams to drive on their strong hand consistently, too. We collapse the defense and the opponent pops it out to an open shooter. Rinse and repeat.

Madcap laughs likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Do you not remember us beating a Final Four caliber Kentucky team a week ago?

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Our shooting percentages weren't awful for this game, but it definitely felt like we were missing a ton of shots we usually make.

I definitely think we will struggle if we don't shoot it better. Defense has to improve too, and I think it will as we play teams we know are better.

Also worth noting that sometimes a dude just goes off. That Burns kid hit a number of big shots despite solid defense.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Any idea what time our game will be?

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Incredible.

14. Tenacious D

Thankfully, yes, I recall that upset.

We are soon to be the upset and not the upsetting.

What would you like to wager that the KY game was the high water mark for this season?

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This is a really fun team that does a few things really well

We’re still a flawed team that struggles if you pack the paint and keep us from running our base offense.

Our zone offense is middle school bad of just standing around instead of running a motion offense and moving the ball arojnd.

lylsmorr likes this.
  16. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Indy’s not a gambling man....

17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised to either lose to Iowa or win the whole thing... this team is impossible to gauge.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What has to happen to top it?

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I particularly enjoyed the passing around the perimeter for 26 seconds then forcing it into the SEC POY to hopefully make something happen. Reminded me of the Cuonz-offense.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is beyond sleep walking. Aside from two games against THE rival with emotions high, UT has been in cruise control and, as a result, went 6-4 in their last 10 regular season games. And got obliterated by a lesser team in the championship who was as gassed or more gassed.

This is not new to the Colgate game. This is not overlooking one opponent. It's a pattern and the team has to wake the [uck fay] up for an entire game, not just spurts. I don't know what changed from the Gonzaga time of year, but this is not the same team. The schedule has been quite a bit easier this year so pointing to the W-L column isn't entirely truthful.

UT's greatness comes from team play, multiple passes, incisive passes into the post, and straight up focus. They are not the most talented team but did the small details well to make themselves great. The focus has not been entirely there for a long time, aside from getting up for the UK games. It has to change.