The 2014 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports' started by emainvol, May 8, 2014.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's because last year's QB class was awful.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

No argument here.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I have mountains of archived emails, going back to when this guy was at LSU, predicting he would be overdrafted and terrible in the NFL. And it had nothing to do with him being a good or bad human being.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He can chuck it, but he's not accurate on the deep ball.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm sure this is where you are: he wasn't all that great at LSU IMO. Had a crapton of talent around him, and made some plays based on his own athleticism too, and made just as many head scratcher plays.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He had the physical tools to be an amazing qb. He was dumb, lazy and apparently addicted to codeine

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Mettenberger can be decent under Whisenhunt.

9. kidbourbon

It was the head scratcher plays of a certain variety. Two or three times a game he would overthrow a receiver by a good ten yards, and usually at least once a game it would end up right in the belly of the opposing safety. Throws so bad it makes you wonder if he was shaving points (except that I never actually suspected he was shaving points)

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

kyle boller too and anyone who watched his college career could tell you he had zero prayer of being a good starting nfl qb.

11. kidbourbon

Mett has dark horse potential.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he'd be the guy i'd take a late flier on definitely.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He definitely wasn't appreciably better than Matt Flynn and I've wondered how LSU would have fared had they played Flynn instead.

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

There were some games, most notably Bama in '05, where Russell willed them to victory. To say he was no better than a game manager (which Flynn was) is misremembering the situation.

15. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The ONLY reason he failed in the NFL was that he couldn't have cared less past the point of cashing his paycheck. Did he make a lot of bonehead plays at LSU? Sure, but that would have easily been corrected in the NFL had he been invested in doing more than the bare minimum.

16. kidbourbon

No.

17. kidbourbon

Yeah, he was worse. See above.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It was pretty obvious from the start that he was going to fail.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Yeah, you made a real convincing argument by cited emails from your college years to my citing of specifics. Yup, you're def king of internetz in this thread.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I may not have cold hard facts like emails from college but hopefully this will suffice.

2006 - Russell 3129 68% 9.1 Y/A 28-8 TD/Int
    2007 - Flynn 2407 56% 6.7 Y/A 21-11 TD/INT

You had to have been huffing 87 octane in those years to think Flynn was in the same zip code as Russell.