"The Athletic" discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Aug 5, 2018.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

For Dooley,
    We (the greater we) sometimes have a tendency to paint things in black and white terms. Dooley had his faults, but he wasn't really a villain anywhere except in our minds. He was just the wrong guy at the wrong time.

IP likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I either didn't know or forgot that we passed on Gary Patterson for Kiffin. Whoopsies.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

i liked Dooley. He made me laugh. He was sincere, but goofy and jinxed. All that talent on offense assembled, for naught. I think my sons first word as a toddler was when he said "toast" and pointed at teague vs UF as they had us spread out and Teague man v slot with no safety help. He got robbed at LSU and Music city bowl. Robbed. Gotta be jinxed.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

[​IMG]

InVolNerable likes this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Exaggeration for effect ip. Almost everybody in the stadium saw where the qb was going. Dooley and buddy hackett were 2 that didnt know.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Daniel Hood's former stepdad (ish person) kills himself and Hood's mom. Dooley goes to the house where Hood has locked himself away and forces his way in. They talk, and Dooley meets with him weekly to help him with depression and getting over it. This plays out over Dooley's last season, and Daniel credits him with being a major positive influence. There's some what if Dooley was never hired stuff in there as well, but Rexrode admits to getting wildly off the original topic.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Buy a subscription.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

You cheap ass

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Had one, didn't use it nearly enough.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

More than anything, just wondering if the article mentioned the way ddiapos handled the Douglas situation.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Same. The Braves writer kind of sucks.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Horseshit, he tried to boot Eric Berry from practice and was, in general, a miserable peckerhead to everyone.

I'm glad he was there for Hood, though

SetVol13 and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep. That's a huge what if in Tennessee history

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yep, sure that was his plan to be that way. He was an incompetent dolt. That's about it. If Hamilton had had enough balls or sense to wait it out or fire him after the KY loss, most of his shenanigans would have been forgotten. Instead, he hired him and still kept his miserable ass after he went into hibernation and asked to be fired. He was a miserable SOB, but he shouldn't have been there.

justingroves likes this.
  16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I might be in the minority but I hate Dooley more than butch.

Dooley was an entitled ass. Butch at least built himself from nothing and was a hard working guy that was just stupid and had no balls.

Not his fault we stupid enough to hire and keep his ass

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think Dooley was a good coach who was a [uck fay]ing [Penis] and hated recruiting.

I think Butch was a terrible coach who was a nice enough (probably over the top fake at times) who could only recruit.

Combine them into one coach and we might have been okay.

Tar Volon and justingroves like this.
  18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We're Tennessee - odds are we'd wound up with a terrible coach who couldn't recruit.

A-Smith, Tar Volon, SetVol13 and 3 others like this.
  19. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

They're on equal ground with me. One was an arrogant, quitter while the other was a dumb con man.

A-Smith, InVolNerable and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I don't think we passed on Patterson. Before Fulmer was even fired, Hamilton had Kiffin locked in. There was never another candidate. Patterson may have been under the impression that he was given an interview but it was not anything more than a favor or maybe legal formality (idk what laws for hiring state employees are).