POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They have a lunch break. It is 30 minutes. I doubt anyone can vote in 30 minutes. Failure to be on time or clock back in is a write up. Second write up is a firing. It's been relaxed a bit these past two years due to COVID, but it's up to manager policy, and the managers can be as strict as they want.

There are multiple shifts. People can be assigned more than one.

Start time is 8 am. Because of lateness policy, most arrive early. They clock in digitally. Phones ring at 8.

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Most people say it's unnecessary and it doesn't make a difference? Interesting. Learn something new every day.

3. fl0at_

Taking personal time off to vote, when others do not, is what we mean by "less access."

People should be able to use their personal time for personal reasons, and still get to vote.

People should be able to use their lunch time for lunch. And still get to vote.

It shouldn't be to choose one or the other.

4. fl0at_

Most of those objecting to the ID. Would you like to answer the question as to how it will make a difference now?

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Does the bouncer checking IDs at the door not make a difference in underage kids entering a 21 and up establishment? Come on now.

6. fl0at_

Yes. I doubt stores would object to installing voting machines as it would drive foot traffic. So we'd see massive increases in places where you can vote.

And for those that don't get out of their house but once every 14 days, and might miss the 10 day window, there is still the mail in.

7. fl0at_

Not when they have fake IDs, no.

You've also picked a situation where there is only one step to rejection.

But for voting, the ID is the second of two steps.

If getting in a club was to present your alcohol registration that is system confirmed, and then a photo ID, the photo ID would be pointless.

8. fl0at_

Early voting is not different than regular voting. People still have the same work requirements on those days.

People should be able to work, have a weekend and vote. They shouldn't have to sacrifice something to vote. It isn't meant to be a sacrifice.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I'm for stream-lining processes. No reason why voter registration cards going forward can't also contain a photo of each person on the side with the technology we have now. Then there is no more reason to produce a drivers license or other valid form of a photo ID in addition to having to show your voter registration card. After presenting your voter registration card with a corresponding photo to the person checking you in you'd be good to go. Since it's a voting card, the system has already confirmed you as you said. This process would also shorten voter lines across the country. Win-win, problem solved. We've banded together to figure out a better solution.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Never said early voting was the be all end all. But it is a component of voting that does accommodate tens of millions each election. I just want states like New York and Delaware to be less restrictive with their early voting. It pisses me off how Georgia, Texas and Tennessee have more expansive early voting access than these repressive blue states championing Jim Crow 2.0.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Less access but they have access, correct?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tennessee allows anyone 60 or older to vote by mail. Wonder why they pick an arbitrary age for allowing vote by mail without any other consideration necessary? Who is more likely to have their mail vote influenced by someone, an elderly person or a non-elderly person?

13. fl0at_

This entire argument can be summed up as the following. You are fine if some have to sacrifice more than others. You think the world is working perfectly when some have to sacrifice more. I don't.

I sincerely believe that neither party wants voting to be equal, or easy. I think it terrifies them. And I'm sure, that were any of the worse of both parties here, they'd congratulate both you and @ole_orange for holding the line.

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

But I'm not talking about mail-in ballots in that situation, I'm focusing on the Jim Crow mentality of blue states like New York and Delaware restricting early access voting compared to states like Tennessee.

15. fl0at_

Sure, we can end up there. Why not just use a thumbprint prior to the photo? And prior to the thumbprint, nothing.

Let's set up a national mark of the beast type system where everyone is registered, and put that on a card, or a tattoo, or anything. As step 1, and eventually, we'll get to the photo. The problem isn't the finish line, it's the middle parts. This middle part as I've described is no more difficult than the photo bit, but somehow probably less acceptable.

We both know, or should, that photo IDs doesn't mean replacement of, but in addition to. It's not a middle step. It's the final step, but without a middle step. Put in a middle step, and then people can agree.

16. fl0at_

You're segmenting a process, and measuring the segments, and not the process.

If it turns out that New York and Delaware have better overall systems: mail in + early + same day than Texas, Tennessee and Georgia, would you continue to zone in only on early voting, or conclude, that... well, early being less doesn't make that much difference overall, in those two states?

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't see why having an ID is such a huge thing to ask for. I don't understand why felons can't vote either

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Petition your state representative if you think requiring to use a photo ID to confirm the information on your voter registration card is unnecessary and unethical. Organize. Assemble. Fight for what you believe to be right. Plenty of people out there like me who have no problem flashing a photo ID at polling stations. Convince the majority of both us and those in the state legislature that current laws on the book requiring that one shows a photo ID at polling stations is wrong. If it's *that* important to you, burden is on you to enact change. Not me.

19. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I’ll just be the one to admit I actually know a few folks (who, surprise surprise… are hardcore Q anon whackos) who believe owning property should be a prerequisite to vote. These same folks also believe being on government assistance should prevent you from being able to vote. I don’t know many (it can’t be more than 10 guys… all guys, which is no surprise either) but I do personally know them. They’re the main reason I deleted my Facebook account, honestly. It’s extremely disappointing to discover folks you previously knew ( at least one of them I’ve know since elementary school) to be rational, sentient people are in fact functional morons.

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

No because states like New York and Delaware and their voters engaging in Jim Crow tactics to suppress their voters by offering limited early voting access will never be worthy of sitting on a higher pedestal as any other state when it comes to how each state manages national elections. Voter suppression is voter suppression. No matter the form it is in.