POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Kesling and indy would be better

utvol0427 likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

next thing you know there’s a national holiday for Lebron James, aka Leebron Jamison to Kesling.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

HCKevinSteele and justingroves like this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

10s of thousands of people died because of these lies. It would have been irresponsible for the administration to say nothing and honestly those platforms should be paying out damages to families that have been affected by carrying false medical information relatively unabated for so long.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

All the conditions are ripe for bird flu to jump to human to human transmission right now, and it will likely be more fatal than covid ever was. If (when) it happens, all of this entrenched idiocy about vaccines and medicine will make things much worse. That will be the legacy of these hearings.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Do you have that huge list of names of the people that died because they refused to take a vaccine because of a social media post?

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Also what is shown isn't all COVID related.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

So are you against the tik tok forced sale? It is the same sort of problem. We have platforms being manipulated and poisoning people's brains with bad information. I try to be consistent which means I do bite more bullets than the average schmuck. I don't see how one can decry "pressure" on these things and also not be very upset about the tik tok sale.

I am fine with both. There are lines that can't be crossed, but the administration has not crossed them.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I don't really care too much either way about the TikTok sale but I see some reasoning in it. We don't really want a foreign country that acts like they like us using social media to spy on our people. They already try to spy on us as many ways possible no need to give them any more access. I don't like the administration being critical of a US owned company because the stuff posted is something they don't like.

Do you have that list of people yet?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think asking for a list of specific individuals is good faith in the context of a pandemic. We both know hundreds of thousands of Americans died and of those, most were unvaccinated and of those, many could have been.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It does remind me of how you can calculate a number of premature deaths per year in an area due to air pollution, and people don't accept it because you can't say who. As if the differences in death rates/epidemiology relating to air pollution concentrations are coincidentally consistent everywhere

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

But how can you prove they were unvaxed because of a social media post? Seems a bit conspiracy theoryish

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

One can be reasonably sure social media influences people's beliefs whether they know it or not. The other day I said "social media is breaking people's brains." No one argued. Further, people on their deathbed repeated the claims which originated online about the vaccine and bogus alternative treatments.

Finally, there is ample peer-reviewed studies that document the relationship between social media and attitudes and beliefs about vaccines.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(22)00184-5/fulltext

https://academic.oup.com/pnasnexus/article/1/4/pgac207/6726650

https://gh.bmj.com/content/5/10/e004206

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9120591/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8872449/

Please not that when I say something is conspiratorial, if the replies are with multiple peer reviewed studies then I would back off the claim of it being conspiratorial. Hypothetically. Because usually all I get is "trust me bro" or "you just don't know" or some solopsistic reply or just links to written forms of the claim itself with no studies or evidence.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wonder what the AI replacement would say? These arrogant scientists dared to actually do studies and attempt to find the real answer. If only a language model could just parrot back solopsistic bullshit so we could all just be assured of whatever our presuppositions suggest. Soon!

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

So the bar is peer reviewed studies? You are who you hate on.

justingroves likes this.
  20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Let's just do peer review studies with scientists. They are the only ones that know things so we should just trust them. They never lie or fudge results.