POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

We should F... them up. With that said do we really have a leg to stand on when it comes to this public posturing. Surly we are doing the same thing to them.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now the Cape Cod ferry service industry. That may seem trivial, but it is vitally important to the economy there, especially in the summer. Something needs to be done.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Maybe companies should take cyber seriously, instead of a it won't happen to me approach. I understand the struggle smaller companies have, and I know that larger companies have a larger attack surface, but frankly if we cared about cyber this wouldn't be near so common. The issue is we simply don't care.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yes, something must be done. Upgrade and update your OS!

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A lot of our cronyism is going to be put to the test with these cyber attacks.

Our food supply chain is at risk due to the USDA’s policy of get large or get out.

6. fl0at_

You think smaller groups are going to be able to handle cyber security better than large groups?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't. Smaller groups will gravitate to the same handful of venders for their needs. Ends up the same, except the little guys don't get the same level of press or help.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

not individually but as a whole I do.

Our supply chain is so concentrated that it doesn’t take but one or two successful attacks to cripple our food industry.

I’d rather have that spread out. It would make more sense for national security, food resiliency, environmentally, and for local economies

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

And I don't know how to stop stupid people from clicking on those malicious email links. "Trump returning to the White House in August" ; click here.

hohenfelsvol and justingroves like this.
  10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You just made my eyebrow twitch.

Thanks.

Me at work, thinking, not saying:

"YOU HAVE A [uck fay]ING PhD HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW THIS [uck fay]ING WORKS?"

and

"WHY HAVE YOU SHARED YOUR PASSWORD WITH YOUR COWORKERS YOU MORON??"

justingroves likes this.
  11. fl0at_

The digital world isn't really spread out, though. Everything is at most a few hundred milliseconds away. An exploit that is used on one can be used on an infinite number.

If the smaller groups don't focus on cyber security, and those exploits are present, one or a million, all can be targeted. If the smaller groups can't focus on cyber security, they'll be more prone to attack, not less prone.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

yes and no.

the smaller producers will be using different processing equipment that isn’t as automated and computerized, so not as prone to attacks on production from that stand point.

13. fl0at_

Right, so a manual bottleneck that is not scalable.

So essentially the same thing as a few automated areas going down, as it is unlikely even in a large processing company that all their places use exactly the same equipment.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Russia is [uck fay]ing with as many western democracies as possible. Nobody is really standing up to them (at least as far as I can tell).

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yesterday we had an all-company (50k+ people) email chain of reply all’s going around for several hours after someone accidentally emailed the full company. It was both the high point and the low point of my career to observe.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Man those are great, the reply all to take me off this email chain that only serves to exponentially grow the email volume as other people also want to be taken off the distribution via reply alls, and the one guy pleading that if you idiots will simply stop emailing it will all go away always makes me laugh.

IP and TennTradition like this.
  17. fl0at_

If that happened with us, I think we'd pretty much immediately block the chain as spam. Give it an hour, and then go find some people to have a conversation with.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

This ultimately happened but ai was shocked it went as long as it did. I funk there are people who crave these moments so they can rev it up.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

This may adversely affect the bitcoin market, since one of its principle uses has been to allegedly be out of reach of governments.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Crypto is not near as anonymous as the hype train and fear train like to pretend. If anything, having a public historic ledger combined with big data mining, makes it easier in some ways to track this stuff down.

justingroves likes this.