POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Nothing about these statements has anything to do with anything.

Voting in the US did not start as a right, but as a privilege. Which is why only white men were allowed to do it. That doesn't mean we shouldn't make it a right, today.

Rights aren't mandatory. And nor are privileges. So not sure what "none of them made voting mandatory" has to do with anything, because it's pointless words.

As far as the US government seeing voting as a right and a privilege, it isn't because a thing can be both, philosophically, but that we have created a social contract that allows a right to be taken away. In other words, felons often can't vote, they've "surrendered" their right, as part of our social contract with government.

Currently in the US, voting is a privilege, not a right.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Is that statement on usa.gov incorrect?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  3. fl0at_

Very much so, yes. And I described the incorrectness in my response to you.

What part wasn't clear, or was a struggle for you to understand?

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Just wanted to hear you say it again. You should contact usa.gov and let them know. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

5. fl0at_

They are fully aware of what they are, as is anyone who has ever read anything on natural rights and legal rights. A legal right is nothing but a privilege, since its existence is only defined as far as the law says it is; and the law can be amended. The US has zero rights, and all privileges. There are a few countries that have at least one right, and a few that have more. We have zero.

Our Constitution ensures that we have zero. We just like to talk about all the rights we have. But the truth is, our legal system, allows us to take away voting, if it wanted to. Put people back into slavery, if it wanted to. Round up everyone and inject them with GPS trackers, if it wanted to.

That is our "rights."

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

No one ever taught me this, it just became apparent as I grew up and saw "rights" be subjectively upheld. Or, you know, critical thinking regarding the early days of our country and who "had rights" and who didn't. Which in itself says it all.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

A lot of places to live on this planet.

8. fl0at_

Keep that in mind as taxes go up and other changes occur, when you get to your 80s.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a wide, wide, wide gulf between "there are flaws and we can do better," and "I quit."

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Stick around then. I like it here.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm terrified

12. fl0at_

Terrified of what? Knowing that there are other places to live on this planet? Or that you'll need to move?

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Terrified of turning 80.

14. fl0at_

There is a cure for that.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Oh no, float has snapped

Or he’s opening a dispensary

16. fl0at_

I meant just don't turn 80. The means by which that goal is achieved is up to the individual.

My dad seems to think red meat and alcohol is his best solution.

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Oh I followed, I just found it more amusing to read it as a threat or a business proposition

Also, yeah my dad is the same way minus the alcohol.

18. fl0at_

Not meant to be a threat. That was not the intention. Not really sure why it would be read as a threat, but willing to understand.

19. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I think I’m just going to stay in the best shape I can and at the first hint of trouble start some daring/reckless adventures. Ideally I can time it right and hunt every day during archery in southwest Montana until I run up on a big grizzly. Go out in a blaze of glory.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I made a bad joke