The Concussion Diaries

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Got an email today about being a class member included in some sort of settlement the NCAA has agreed to for a lawsuit regarding concussions. From the email:

"The NCAA has agreed to a Medical Monitoring Fund of $70,000,000, which, after deducting administrative costs, and attorneys’ fees and expenses, will fund the screening as well as medical evaluation of Class Members who qualify as a result of the screening during the 50-year Medical Monitoring Program."

Haven't really gotten a chance to read it yet, but seems relevant.

Never really had concussion issues, but I like free stuff as much as the next guy.

3. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

You'll get $4 after all the fees are deducted.

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Sad story, some eye opening stuff. I've long suspected myself as a CTE case due to many of the things mentioned here, the random bouts of depression, anxiety, and lack of impulse control from my mid 20's on. Who knows. Condolences to the guy's family.

5. Tenacious D

You should seek a clinical diagnosis, and if needed, knowledgeable and competent assistance.

It is a grave misjustice to this kid that he was told that he'd die penniless and alone. It didn't cause his depressive condition, but it damned sure didn't help, either.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jeez, I feel like folks say that stuff to other people all the time without giving a shit about their condition. People can be cruel.

7. Tenacious D

And that was advice from a psychologist who he went to for help.

8. Tenacious D

How to prevent this from happening? I'm not sure.

I'm not confident that we even competently understand it.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or maybe we just don't like the real answer to this problem.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And we know what that answer ultimately is. Football will not be the same in 20 years. I still struggle justifying my watching it.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It starts with education. It also has to have coaches/players/trainers that communicate. The problem with the communication is that you have players laying it all on the line and not listening to their bodies in the heat of the moment. And you have coaches who are coaching for their paycheck and often times don't go with what is right.

It's a complex issue with no simple fix. You have players getting bigger stronger and faster and the issue is only going to worsen.

Education is key. The NFHS puts out a video each year that coaches have to watch. It's useless. There needs to be more in-service time devoted to things like this.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Get yourself checked out. You are too good of an SOB to ever risk a fate like this or fighting a battle "alone."