The Correlation Between State Gun Laws and Homicide Rates

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Oct 7, 2015.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This will be as useful a "solution" as gun control.

If you have a gun permit, you can wear clothes. If you do not, you must go naked, and cannot carry bags, of any kind.

There. Now, all law enforcement has to do is approach the non-naked people. Because, how else would you conceal a gun? If you have on clothes, but no firearm, you will be arrested for inciting a riot, and fined.

So, if you have clothes on, while at a school, court, or other gun free zone, you will be immediately arrested.

I bet this also solves some of our overweight problems.

There. I'm a problem solving genius.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is it so crazy to to want to make it a little more work to get access to a gun? Is that just as crazy as banning clothes to you?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Legally, it's not that easy

4. fl0at_

And how do you propose we make it a little more work, that can't be easily circumnavigated by either the ability to lie (which is a talent among sociopaths), or steal a firearm from someone who did get one?

Which recent shootings would have been stopped by "tougher background checks"? The guy who had a family member give him a gun? The guy who stole a gun from his family? Or how about the guy who probably had a gun before washing out of training, for whatever reason?

What meaningful changes are you advocating that would actually make a difference? Or have we now switched gears to gun crime in general, and are talking about eliminating the "gun show loophole?" Because as far as mass shootings go, that probably doesn't do mcuh of anything.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

The one in Aurora would have been prevented by closing a loophole where one can purchase guns online. He went to a gun store here locally and the owner refused him service because he was a weirdo, and reported him to the police. His therapist reported him as potentially dangerous. Nothing happened. Gun arrives, shooting commences.

There's one. The most current one got washed out of the military. How much you want to bet it was psych related? If so, he should have been flagged and disarmed for safety and then provided a mechanism to clear himself.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The South Carolina shooter had a criminal history and was prohibited from buying guns. South Carolina has a law forbidding those kind of background checks, so he was able to buy one.

There's three, and the two most recent, off the top of my head that could have been prevented or at least hindered with tougher national gun laws.

Myth busted. What else you got?

7. fl0at_

As far as I know, it is illegal to purchase a firearm online. Period. And I don't mean on a state to state basis. I mean, Federally. As in, purchase of a firearm online must go through an FFL. At the FFL, the individual is required to do a background check.

The "gun show loophole" has forever been face to face transactions, which in many states are legal. But an online purchase wouldn't be face to face. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is illegal to ship a firearm to anyone but yourself, without it going through an FFL. I'd have to look into that, as well as the online purchase.

I mean, that law has been in place since like Kennedy was killed. I'd be really curious to see how that one went down, and the act itself wasn't illegal.

Oregon shooter may have washed for psych. May have also just been a failure to adapt. Even if it was psych related, even if he was flagged, and even if his weapons were confiscated, he'd have to be pretty stupid to not be able to convince whomever is eval'ing him that he wasn't a psychopath.

"I've been going to church, doc. I feel a lot better. I got involved in this group. I'm attending weekly AA meetings." I mean, c'mon. There's no quantitative "psycho" test.

8. fl0at_

Didn't the South Carolina guy also get given a firearm by his uncle? So, even if he had been denied, he'd still have a firearm, right?

Elaborate how the two most recent would have been prevented by tougher laws, and which ones? Oh, hindered? Oh, my. Well, so long as it took an extra year for the guy to snap... that's ok.

So no, myth not busted.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whoa whoa, you act like there would be no impact. I demonstrated that there WOULD have been. Myth busted.

12. fl0at_

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I actually buy my ammo in bulk, it's cheaper and I'll use 500-600 rounds when I go to the range

14. fl0at_

Actually, this is what I asked.

Not hindered. Not delayed. Stopped. Never to occur.

Let's go back to the Aurora shooter. Let's assume a national registry, that would have made it impossible for him to purchase more than one firearm within the 5 day period, or whatever. So he waits an additional 15 days? Ok. You think it likely he changes his mind in those 15 days? Possible. But he already had to wait on the ammo shipment.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, you're convincing me. Maybe we do need to ban guns.

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

That statement is ludicrous.

They have crazy good weed in Colorado. Fact.
    Cars can drive to Colorado. Fact.
    I have a car. Fact.
    I do not have any crazy good week. Fact.

Ease of acquisition is relevant.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can you explain why Nebraska and Kansas are suing Colorado for it's weed getting into their states, if weed can't be transported across state lines by cars?

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Because they overhired in the Attorney General office and needed them to bill hours to justify their salaries?

Also, I'm not alleging that the contraband won't move. I'm saying that your argument that the locality of these thighs doesn't matter is facially absurd.

Does some Colorado weed get into Nebraska? Sure.
    Is it easier to get Colorado weed in Denver or Lincoln? Hmmm. brain buster.

You're essentially saying that guns in one city just flow like water downhill into the rest of them. And you're apparently saying this with a straight face.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you honestly don't see how that is happening in places like Chicago or DC, you're legitimately stupid. Do you think guns grow in alleys or breed in abandoned warehouses?

Guns do not spontaneously spring into being in cities in which they are not legally available. They're being moved there.

Also, if you want crazy weed and can't find it in DC, you are probably considered lame by those who have access to crazy weed. Fact. Just grow your own, that is perfectly legal. There are kits available such as Root. Not that I'm into this sort of thing.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Wait, you mean to tell me that there are laws against transporting weed across state lines, and people are breaking that law? How can this be?