The Mediocre Vols

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Unimane, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm checking out the Lady Vols vs. Baylor game on ESPN tonight, my first ladies game of the year under new administration, and the performance is less than underwhelming. Not that the Lady Vols are some kind of bellwether for the university, but I used to be able to turn on a game and feel confident that it wouldn't be an ass raping of the Vols. Unfortunately, they resemble every other ****ing team that wears the orange these days, ranging from average, at best, to complete dogshit.

Is there a program that is worth a damn on the Hill? Who has ****ed up the athletic department so bad. I get that there are some program changes going on within the last couple of years, but it's pretty piss poor, right now. I don't know if the Cheek and Hart unholy alliance is sacrificing our good name in athletics to provide for a "top 25 school", but something smells rotten and I can't believe this shit can go much further without some serious wholesale changes, on can hope.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ironically, club sports like rugby and paintball are nationally elite. The AD is shite.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I will just say that I clicked on this thread and was extremely relieved to see it was about women's basketball.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

They do have 19 and 45 point wins over top 25 opponents. But it's been. . . shall we say uneven

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Actually, it was about the Vols in general. The reference to the Lady Vols was more like "They're shitty, too? The one stalwart we have?"

6. Daloth

Daloth New Member

Losing to Baylor (and Stanford) this year is not much to be sad about. Griner is the most physically imposing man the women's game has ever seen. And Stanford ended their streak. Are we a top 5 team? Maybe. In the world of women's ball there are usually three tiers.

top tier, where every member is head and shoulders above everyone else (This year, that is Stanford, Baylor, Notre Dame)
    upper tier, where if the team plays its best and the above teams play poorly, they can win (TN is on the upper end of this group, as seen by the raping of UNC/Texas)
    Bottom tier, everyone else. can usually not even beat the next tier even on their best nights.

women's game is cyclical. if you have a game changer, you can win. We don't have one now (next year we will) so, if you don't have a parker, taurasi, griner, holdsclaw, mia moore, etc. then don't even think about winning a title.

7. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

It's sad as hell that Louisville has a better AD than UT.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Louisville may have the best AD in the country.

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Jeremy Foley is in that conversation as well. IMO