The Never-ending College basketball season thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 7, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is the kind of post play I want to see rewarded.

2. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Still a ridiculous player

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

So, why was Clark compared to Maravich in regards to breaking the scoring record, but Watkins at USC supposedly broke the record to "become the all-time leading scorer among freshmen in NCAA Division I history" but just off the top of my head I know Chris Jackson had more points than her as a freshman at LSU.

4. NashVol11

She broke the women’s record. When Clark broke the women’s scoring record that was a story as well. People going out of their way to find a grievance

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

The next time a player on the men's side sets a record and it is described as a NCAA record for the men or women's, you will be right. Good luck!

6. NashVol11

When a man breaks a record for both genders it is described as “setting the Division I scoring record” just like it was when Clark did it, minus the outrage.

(Also, you joining the chorus of people who have to immediately say something negative every time WBB comes up seems not great)

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Then why was it not presented on the broadcast last night that she was breaking the women's record or why was it not specified in the ESPN article that I quoted that she was breaking the women's record? Both instances it was said that it was the NCAA all-time freshman scoring record.

IP likes this.
  8. NashVol11

Why do you think that is? Because ESPN is anti-male or something?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You didn't answer his question. Weird. There is a double standard and you know it.

11. NashVol11

12. NashVol11

Nothing weird about it, I’m interested to see what big conspiracy he thinks there is, that is advanced through descriptions of scoring records

13. NashVol11

This is like seeing a list of the NBA’s all-time leading scorers under 6 feet tall and saying “where’s the list for OVER 6 feet?!” Well uhh that’s uhh, most of them. Kinda pointless to have a list for the group that makes up the majority of the list already

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

No, I'm genuinely curious. When they go out of their way to compare the stats for two different sports, then it is good reporting to clarify that they mean she is breaking the women's record in this instance instead of saying she's breaking the all-time NCAA record.

I don't think it is a big conspiracy, I think it is just ESPN's attempt to add a bit of relevance to something that is otherwise irrelevant to the majority of the sports world.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That's not the same thing, because those are the same sport/league.

A similar scenario would be a saying a player in the WNBA is breaking a professional basketball record and, when questioned, saying "no, we meant just the WNBA record".

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, there isn't a separate exclusive league for under 6 ft tall professional basketball players. If there were, it would be silly to say 5'11 John Doe holds the all-time NBA and Lil' NBA blocking record.

zehr27 likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Here's the conspiracy: who hosts the NCAA men's tournament each year? Now, who hosts the NCAA women's tournament? There you go.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm just a fan of clarity. And this space is the only one in sports where it seems like people are intentionally vague/unclear. That annoys me. It feels dishonest and disingenuous. Like someone is trying to trick me into reading something I don't want to read.

utvol0427 likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is being done to cash in a short term boost of interest, but has long term detrimental effects to women's side of the sport. Because people are being confused and misled.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Correct. And now we are back into the discussion we have already had here a couple times.

Maybe they feel the number of fans they will gain through this approach will outweigh the number of people they'll piss off and alienate. Maybe they figure they were never going to capture those people they piss off/alienate as fans anyway. Who knows.

But no matter what, it's definitely intentional, which makes it annoying, to me.