The Never-ending College basketball season thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 7, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Numbers on graph!

NashVol11 likes this.
  2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Are you referring to a specific trait?

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think poverty levels and culture determine it more than genetics.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

shows that area producers 1/10th of what the SE does. Again just backing up what I already know with facts for those of you unable to opine without them.

5. NorrisAlan

With 1/10th the population (just guessing, but I think it is close)

6. Ssmiff

All Memphis metro team 1985. I would rather not have to have played Ron Huery, Sylvester Gray on bottom right, etc etc. if you played that type of comp and pressure, you know. If you never played past a certain level of comp, you will insist there’s no difference on the court.

Attached Files:

7. Ssmiff

true. Which also touches on the lack of competition I’ve discussed.

8. NorrisAlan

But if given population density the numbers are all but equal, does it really say anything about competition level?

I agree, you gotta play a certain level of competition to bring out your best, but these numbers don't really show that it is needed to get into division 1. They probably look more at raw talent and hope they can mold you.

9. Ssmiff

yes, if there are fewer players and less diversity, the competition is weaker compared to other areas.
    And yes coaches recruit on potential too which kinda sucks now with portal as coaches like Barnes and others don’t time to mold and break bad habits formed by horrible AAU ball.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Race. Race is a cultural and social construct. Not a biological trait.

NashVol11 likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The fact is that Utah is like 3 million people in a nation of 333 million. Your absolute figures only support my argument, not yours. Your logic is broken, you are just gesturing at a conclusion you are unable to support.

12. Ssmiff

fewer players and less diversity. Are you arguing it doesn’t matter? U r clueless.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am the one arguing fewer players. You are moving the goal posts.

14. Ssmiff

I’ve talked about lack of diversity and HS comp since yesterday. You are arguing neither matters. Having doubts you stepped on a court after elementary school.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, I never did argue it. Quote it.

I never claimed to play organized basketball. New argument just spawned.

16. Ssmiff

then what are you arguing?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That there are only a small % of athletes that are from utah and Utah is far away. So it would be very reasonable to expect to not see them tearing up the SEC. Same with Alaska. Wyoming. Etc.

18. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Iowa is even less diverse than Utah. I'll go out on a limb and say that they don't have the toughest high school basketball competition. Despite this, they have had no issues producing a ton of All-Americans and players who have had long careers in the NBA.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay riddle me this:

Do TN athletes contribute to NY college programs more or less than NY athletes have contributed to tennessee basketball?

Seems like no. Why is that? Does New York just have a different type of athlete?

And if so, why do they not have great football programs?

I would say they have a higher, denser pop such that they have many athletes but do not have as much football programs due to urban density.

Your explanation?

20. Ssmiff

this is true. So back to the crux, i would rather not have a team of all white Mormons who’ve been away for 2 years in the sec because we would get our asses whipped. People can figure out the reasons for themselves.
    This started as I posted Popes first commit. Not the standard Ky commit the last decade who is awaiting a top 10 or 20 nba selection. Kid who isn’t that big or strong, maybe even a little awkward, who played weak hs comp and hasn’t trained or played in 2 years.
    I hope pope continues to recruit the same type of player and I hope we don’t. Feel like we could go on a decade run against them if he does.